Barring a cure for migraine, what’s one change that would make your life easier?
I daydream. A lot.
I daydream about my work life, my romantic life, my next vacation. I daydream about totally mundane things, as well: what would the house be like if I moved the couch from one room to another? What should I order at dinner tonight?
Without really intending to, I daydream about my health a lot. Sometimes the dreams are negative ones and are not helpful to my mental health. During rough health patches, I wonder what life would be like if I never felt well again. I wonder what would happen if my triptans stopped working entirely. I imagine setting up a trigger-free home office from bed.
When I’m more optimistic, I daydream about other slim possibilities. I let my imagination run tame (ha, ha) and think about what I’d do to change things if I had the power.
Which brings me to this: barring the discovery of a cure for migraine (which is not likely for at least the near future), what one thing would I change to make life a little easier, health-wise or stress-wise?
The list could go on and on, especially if I’m feeling especially indulgent-slash-spoiled, but here’s what’s on it today:
- I’d love to have a second bathroom in the house so I could take long baths without the cat needing to access the litter box or the boyfriend needing to pee
- I want perfume, cologne, and other strongly-scented body products banned from planes.
- And, while we’re at it, let’s just ban all perfume and cologne that triggers any migraineur, anywhere.
- You know what else would be cool? If the moment I walked into a hotel room all the environmentally-friendly CFLs (compact fluorescent bulbs, or “squiggly light bulbs,” as my friend calls them) would magically morph into migraineur-friendly incandescent bulbs.
- What if I could give a card to people that said, “Janet is actually a very smart person, but she’s having a migraine right now, so that’s why she can’t seem to string two multisyllabic words together”?
- I’d love for well-meaning news sources to take a few minutes to learn more about migraine so they could report more accurately (main point I’d like for them to learn: migraine is a disease, not a headache).
- It would be really wonderful to be able to mute TVs and loudspeakers on airplanes, in airport terminals, in waiting rooms, and the like.
- As I said in a previous post that proved to be quite controversial, I wish everyone in the world would get just one migraine. Just one, so they could understand what it is like for us sufferers.
What health-related daydreams do you have, silly or otherwise? What simple (or utterly complicated and convoluted) changes would you like to see that would make your life as a migraineur easier?
Have you checked out the new Community Hub yet?