Can dietary supplement labels be trusted?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Migraine.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Dietary Supplements – Adverse Event Reporting, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/ReportAdverseEvent/default.htm
- Dietary Supplements, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, retrieved 2/3/2015, http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySupplements/default.htm
- Esch, Mary, (2/3/2015). Study: many herbal supplements are not what the label says, ABC News, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/ny-attorney-general-targets-popular-herbal-supplements-28686772
- Fabricant, Daniel Ph.D., (2/3/2015). NPA CEO responds to New York attorney general request to stop herbal supplement sales, Natural Products Association, retrieved 2/1/3/2051 at http://www.npainfo.org/NPA/NewsRoom/News_Releases_2015/NPA_CEO_Responds_to_New_York_Attorney_General_Request_to_Stop_Herbal_Supplement_Sales.aspx
- Major retailers accused of selling adulterated herbal supplements, ConsumerLab, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.consumerlab.com/recalls.asp?Recall_1"
- NPA Certified Companies, Natural Products Association, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.npainfo.org/NPA/EducationCertification/TruLabelProgram.aspx
- NPA GMP Certification Program, Natural Products Association, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.npainfo.org/NPA/EducationCertification/NPAGMPCertificationProgram.aspx
- O’Connor, Anahad, (2/3/2015). New York attorney general targets supplement a major retailers, The New York Times, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/?smid=tw-share&_r=0"
- O’Connor, Anahad, (11/3/2013). Herbal supplements are often not what they seem, The New York Times, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/herbal-supplements-are-often-not-what-they-seem.html?_r=0
- Vaughan, Karen, (11/5/2013). Are herbal supplements safe? Natural Health by Karen, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/?p=7040
- What is DNA Barcoding? Barcode of Life, retrieved 2/3/2015 at http://www.barcodeoflife.org/content/about/what-dna-barcoding