Hot Wings for Headache
By now you are familiar with the ALS "ice bucket" fundraising and awareness campaign. People have been posting videos of themselves accepting the challenge, sharing facts about ALS, and then challenging others to do the same. If you chicken out, then you donate to ALS research.
Not long after it started, migraine advocates wondered what it would take to raise that kind of awareness for migraines and headache disorders. Well guess what? Someone finally took action.
Dr. Dave Watson, director of the WVU Headache Center partnered with his colleagues to start Hot Wings for Headache and challenged others to do the same.
Here is how it works:
1. Choose a restaurant that serves hot wings.
2. Order and eat at least two of the hottest wings they offer.
3. Wait at least 30 seconds before drinking any water.
4. Then donate at least $20 the American Migraine Foundation.
5. If you "chicken out" or can't for health reasons, then donate $50.
6. Record a video and post it on your favorite social media. Add a link to the comments below, too.
7. Make sure to share the details of the challenge and explain why you have accepted the challenge including:
- The name of the patient in whose honor you are accepting the challenge
- One or two facts about under-funding and stigma related to migraine and other headache disorders.
- Then publicly call out other to take the challenge.
Here is your chance to help raise awareness about migraines, bust some myths, and fight stigma. I've already scheduled a time to meet the challenge and called out a lot of friends. We can't do everything, but each of us can do something.
Watch the video for more details.
Have you checked out the new Community Hub yet?