How can stress impact my migraines?
Migraine FAQs: How can stress impact my migraines?
Many consider stress the most common cause of migraines.
Stress in migraine sufferers is difficult to control, just as it is in people who don't suffer from migraines. Stress can impact migraines in many different ways:
- A major stressful event, such as death or divorce, may cause someone's first migraine attack
- Stress can trigger migraine attacks
- In some, stress makes a migraine attack worse
- Some migraine sufferers say that stress makes migraine attacks last longer
- Stress may cause more frequent migraine attacks
- Stress can cause a migraine after the stressful situation ends, which occurs after the sudden release of tension — sometimes called “weekend migraines”