An inventory of all my migraine/pain items
Just how much migraine and pain-related stuff do I have in here?
This question popped up again and again this past summer as Jim and I packed up our house in preparation for a two-mile move across town. I moved into my first house in Athens in 2004, and I’d accumulated a LOT in my decade in the “Purple Pagoda” (yes, my house was purple). Incidentally, 2004 was the year I started going to a headache specialist (the one I eventually said buh-bye to), and that was the time I started taking my migraine diagnosis much more seriously. I began looking for successful treatments, got more serious about self-care, and started donning a hat and/or sunglasses during grad school classes, usually not thinking twice about my classmates’ strange glances. The next year is when I started my then-anonymous “The Migraine Girl” blog.
In short: the mid-2000s were a tremendous time of change, empowerment, sickness, and increased self-awareness for me in regard to my health.
As you can imagine, I have tried a LOT of remedies to both prevent and abort migraine attacks, and I have a lot of stuff on hand to help soothe myself during episodes that simply aren’t abating.
I thought it’d be interesting to list everything that’s in my house at the moment.*
- Ice packs: 4 large, 2 small, 2 tiny
- Topical magnesium spray (I use Zyclear): 3 bottles (1 mostly empty, 1 half-full but with broken dispenser, 1 still in package)
- Magnesium glycinate tablets
- Tiger balm (1 small jar)
- Muscle pain relief liquid (label is in Chinese, so I can’t translate it for you!)
- Muscle pain relief liquid (all natural, from a health store in Joshua Tree, CA)
- Almond oil (a “carrier” oil: I mix 1 tsp of this with 1-2 drops of essential oil)
- Lavender + mint essential oil (see above)
- Inflatable bath pillow
- Soothing bubble bath
- Epsom salts (again, for a bath)
- Heating pad (plug-in version)
- Heated neck wrap (no plug required)
- Imitrex (5 pills left of my 9-pill prescription; 4 refills remaining)
- Naratriptan (brand name Amerge; only 3 pills remaining and no refills)
- Cyclobenzaprine muscle relaxer (in terms of migraine, I take this right before and during my period in verrrry small doses)
- A pill cutter (to quarter my cyclobenzaprine as mentioned above)
- Naproxen sodium (1 bottle, almost out)
- Ibuprofen (1 bottle, running low)
- Generic muscle rub
- Pain relief rub (I currently use “Natural Earth Potions Pain & Migraine” type)
- Ear plugs (the foam kind, which I buy in bulk and take with me to live music shows & the movies)
- Ear plugs (the silicon kind, which I rarely use now but come most in handy to block out neighbors or nearby snorers at night)
Wow. I have not included any general medications or equipment I use when I’m having a psoriatic arthritis flare. I knew I had a bunch of stuff, but this list seems long. Writing it up also gave me a chance to check expiration dates and make sure I didn’t have any unsafe/out-of-date medications in the house.
What’s in your arsenal? Do you have any must-haves not listed above that you’d recommend for me?
*Please note that this list does not include expired medications, leaky ice packs, ineffective stuff I decided to toss, and various other things that even I, Health Equipment Hoarder, couldn’t justify keeping.
Have you taken our Migraine In America Survey yet?