Inderal LA (propranolol) Side Effects
As with any medicine, Inderal LA can cause adverse reactions, also known as side effects. Generally, Inderal LA is tolerated well by most people. Sometimes side effects can result from taking Inderal LA when you are taking other medications. This is why it is important to tell your doctor your complete health history before beginning a new medicine such as Inderal LA. Before you use Inderal LA, tell your doctor if you:
- Have asthma
- Have an unusually slow heart rate (heart block)
- Have experienced serious damage to your heart, such as decompensated heart failure (a serious condition in which the heart no longer pumps blood properly) or cardiogenic shock (in which the heart can’t pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body)
- Have any other medical conditions besides the one for which you are considering taking Inderal LA (such as high blood pressure, migraine headaches, diabetes, a hyperactive thyroid condition, extremely fast heart rate, or chest pain)
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- Have had an allergic reaction to Inderal LA or any of its ingredients such as propranolol (its active ingredient)
If any of these circumstances describe you, you may need to have your dose of propranolol or another medication adjusted or you may need to have special tests to safely use Inderal LA.
All beta-blockers such as Inderal LA can cause the following side effects:
- Problems exercising for an extended period of time
- A sudden drop in blood pressure that can cause a dizzy spell or head rush
Inderal LA Side Effects
Adverse reactions to taking of Inderal LA may change depending on the dose you take. Serious side effects that are reported in the manufacturer Product Information include the following. (Note: The manufacturer has not reported what percentage of people taking Inderal LA have experienced these side effects.)
- A slowing of heart rate
- Too-low blood pressure
- Congestive heart failure (in which the heart can’t pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body)
- Vivid dreams
- Short-term memory loss
- Symptoms of depression including insomnia, fatigue, weakness, and listlessness
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Pain, discomfort, or cramping in the abdominal area
- An allergic reaction such as hives, a rash, and/or difficulty breathing, or a body-wide allergic reaction known as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
- Lupus (an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of body tissues)
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (in which the top layer of skin separates from the layers beneath)
- Dry eyes
- Hair loss
- In men: Impotence (an inability to achieve or sustain an erection) and/or Peyronie’s disease (an abnormal bend in the penis during erection, which can cause pain during erection and intercourse)
Have you experienced side effects using Inderal LA?
You are encouraged to report your side effects of any prescription medicines to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). If you would like to report any adverse reactions you have experienced while taking Inderal LA (propranolol), visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Written & reviewed by: Lisa Erwin R.Ph. CGP | Last review date: Dec 2010. Click the References Link below for a complete list of references.