Migraine for 20 Days Now Non-Stop

Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone know any remedy that can help me. I woke up 3 weeks ago with a headache which to this day won’t go away. I went to see my neurologist and she prescribed me Medrol 4 mg (steroids) for two weeks to “break the cycle“. This is my second week of taking steroids and I still feel the pain 🙁

I usually take Maxalt for pain but it didn’t help me this time this is why i went to see Neurologist again. I’m getting an MRI done next week.
I was just wondering maybe someone can recommend anything to break the cycle?
Please let me know,

Thank you!

Comments

• ah1996
    1 month ago

Hi,
    I’m in the exact same situation. This is my third time going through it and we can’t seem to figure out how to break the cycle. The Rizatriptan only works temporarily, and the medrol pack only worked the first time, but hasn’t worked since. Have you found anything that has helped?

• Marina1990 author
    1 month ago

******Update
    Hello and thank you everyone who responded.
    It’s almost been 9 weeks and the pain is till here.
    I did try acupuncture, chiropractors, MRI (clear) Cat Scan (clear). I am taking Vitamin B2 and Magnesium.
    I live in Philadelphia and went to see a specialist in Jefferson Headache Clinic. I did have lidocaine injections and she did prescribe me Zyprexa and put me on Cymbalta as a preventative. Zyprexa and injections did not help.
    I am just so overwhelmed and upset. Holidays are coming up and it’s so depressing. Sorry I had to vent. My next step are to go see a endocrinologist to check my hormone levels.
    Thanks everyone for your help and if you have any other suggestions, they are greatly appreciated!
    I hope that everyone gets better! Happy holidays!

• GBAGWILL
    1 month ago

Go to the ER & get a shot of torodal, only thing that works for me when I have migraines that last for more than 3 days.

• SkiingIsBelieving
    2 months ago

I’m sorry you’re suffering. Please search “Stanton Migraine Protocol.” I can’t write much more or I will probably be blocked, but Dr. Stanton is has a book and a FB support group to implement a protocol that is based on electrolyte balance and blood sugar management by diet, and it has been amazing for me. The group is full of people like you who were near the end of their rope, and are now living active full lives and managing migraine. Please check it out! Good luck to you.

• ssw7ir
    2 months ago

I have had 30 day cycles, 2 week cycles, lots of cycles. I can interrupt the cycles now with ambien. For some reason it takes my migraine away and I can sleep. Most times gone in the morning.

• Marina1990 author
    1 month ago

Thank you!

• nece
    2 months ago

It may be less known but have you tried acupuncture? I had a 3 day migraine, called my acupuncturist and she was able to make it recede 90-95%.

• Marina1990 author
    1 month ago

Hi, thank you for your response. I did acupuncture it did not help me unfortunately. I am now almost 9 weeks in this status.

• montaney
    2 months ago

I am coming up on 2 years of a migraine 24 hours a day/7 days a week. I have tried many, many things. Aimovig is the only one to show a glimmer of hope. It is a long lonely road. I had to leave one neuologist. He just didn’t understand that what he was doing wasn’t working. Find one that you are comfortable with and can help you find something that will work for you. It won’t be the samething that worked for someone else. I stopped working because I wasn’t there even when I was. My husband has been wonderful. Set up a routine for yourself that includes plenty of rest and self care. Allow yourself the power to say no when you need to and not beat yourself up over it. Be patient. There are good days and bad. Enjoy the good ones to the fullest knowing that a bad one will creep in when you don’t want it, but you will come out the other side to another good day. Prayers to you.

• john0427
    2 months ago

neurologist are useless if your in pain all they want to do is operate on something… only thing that has ever helped me with my lifelong migraines is Butabarbital with codeine it at least takes the edge off but nothing makes them go away completely except time and with the kids abusing opioids the ones who really need them are now punished by the yellow doctors who make so many suffer

• CobyMeg
    2 months ago

Get a new Neurologist. Your one doesn’t understand migraine. Have you tried opioids? I can’t advise because I have had every treatment known to medicine plus I am resistant to opioids but for you it seems you have not been near the stronger pain killers.

• GulfCoast4Life
    2 months ago

I’m so sorry to hear this, I know exactly how you feel. I’ve suffered with severe migraines as far back as I can remember. I. 52 now. I’ve had “this” migraine for 3 1/2 weeks straight. I just stopped getting Botox injections because they weren’t helping, at all. My Neurologist has just ordered Ajovy for me in hopes this night work, us a “breakthrough” shot for when I have a migraine attack. I pray this will work. My grandmother used to drink very extra strong coffee and that would ease her migraines, it does help mine… Sometimes. I’ve tried so many things, that I sometimes think I’m just never going to get any migraine relief at all. I hope you feel better soon. And if you figure out a way to ease them up, please let me know.

• Marina1990 author
    1 month ago

Thank you very much for your response

• Joanna Bodner moderator
    2 months ago

Hi there @marina1990, I am so sorry to hear how much pain you have been experiencing now these past few weeks. I wanted to chime in to share a particular article we have on this topic in case you found it to be helpful as it provides some possible ways to “break the cycle” – https://migraine.com/living-migraine/how-do-you-break-wont-stop/.

Keep us posted on how you are doing if you can!

• Marina1990 author