Complicated migraine with stroke like symptoms

My 28 year old daughter was diagnosed with a complicated migraine with stroke like symptoms about four weeks ago. She has a history of migraines since the age of 4 so we experienced many trips to the Emergency Room when she was growing up. Even Imitrex in shot form did nothing to relieve her pain. We are trying to get her into Mayo since she has been a patient there before for Kawasaki’s disease and migraines.

She lives 4 1/2 hours from Rochester now so we need a referral and her doctor in the hospital will not give her a referral which we don’t understand. The hospital is working with us now so we will see if we can get her in for appointments. This particular week she experienced 3 migraines and was at work when her right eye drooped and her arm and leg lost all function. She is an advanced CNA and work at two different hospitals so it was a blessing in disguise for her to be at work that day. In the ER a spinal was performed and all 4 vials had the same amount of blood in them. They put her in an ambulance and sent her to a hospital about an hour away from her home.

She was in ICU for 4 days and then in a regular room for another 4 days before going home with the same headache and a walker. Her MRI‘s and CT scans and most of her blood work came back normal. Our family, including me have migraines and my mother has had three brain anuerysms and a stroke so we were/are very concerned to say the least. She is home now with a walker and the same headache. Her right eye came back after the 8th day in the hospital. Her right arm got a little more strength but her right leg still felt like a bag of cement when her doctor released her. Not once did her doctor get her up to watch her try and walk. She had the help of wonderful CNA’s, nurses and PT’s which told this doctor she could not walk. She is on her 27th day of having a headache and still has some problems with her right leg.

During this experience she also had/has shooting, stabbing pains from the middle of her head all the way down her right side and also some numbness. She did find out her blood work for her thyroid came back a little low. Also she has been receiving B12 shots for 2 years now because her b12 is also low. 6 months prior she had her 2nd child and had a small blood clot near her right ovary which caused extreme pain and problems with her right leg. She also had staph infection which we still have no idea how she got. She was in the hospital 6 days for this.

My question is why won’t her headache go away and what are we missing?

Comments

• Tammy Robinson

I also have migraines that have gone one as long as 9 to 12 weeks at a time. I have had some light strokes and TIA’s as well. When I get tired my leg will drag slightly, but I take a lot of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I also take a medicine at night, but the headache I have now has lasted for about two months now. I have been to the doctor and he put me on Relpax, but it does not seem to help either. I have numbness in the top part of my head to the light touch. If you poke me with something I can feel that, but not the light touch. I also have had in the past, low potassium, low b-12, and my balance was off for about 5 months. That was blamed on my b-12 being low.

• DeWayne Burrow

I am going through the same but its my left side found out I have a small hole in the top part of my heart my left leg well might as well say useless I have a brace and have to use a cane I am trying to get disibility now becouse when the migrains hit I was driving to work and my left side of my face druped like a stroke but the vision was shot in my left I seen a nerologiest they are doing a spinal shock test soon I hope I get disibility.

• Pennifer McCartney

Same symptons 4 weeks ago also. Spent time in the hospital in Erie, Pa. only to be told that it was a Complicated Migraine. I’m 50 years old and have suffered with migraines since my 20’s. This episode occurred while having my period and I have asked all the doctors if they are related since I have journaled my migraines and my periods for the last 4 months. They never acknowledged what I was asking! Is there a relationship since I am at the age for Peri-menopause? Vision is still bad and I am going in for an eye exam tomorrow.

• Joyce Mathews

please find a specialist. sounds as if your doctor is not listening to what you are telling him.

• Jennifer Taylor Hess

I had a friend that had the same problem. Severe migraines always when she got her perod or right before. It took her forever to find a doc that would listen to her. After having a hysterectomy , she still takes daily migraine medicine and a hormone supplement and hasn’t had a migraine since. Who is your OB/Gyn.?

• Bill Holland

Sounds lile u need a new new rolo gista.

• Jan Alexander

I do not drink at all and I have been having these same type problems since last friday and was admited to the hospital over the weekend and was sent home with the same diagnosis as your daughter. I lost vision in my right eye, my mouth drooped, speech was slurred, and my legs also feel like they are cemted to the floor! I have never had a miraign before this actually my head has never really hurt before period! Mine struck me out of the blue while I was eating dinner that night and I am still having problems! I don’t know what else to do either! I am considering going back to the hospital but so far its always the same thing and nothing is ever really done for me! Any advise would be appreciated!

• Audra Ray

Just do the best to take care of yourself, enjoy life and family and that’s all you can do.

• Jan Alexander

Yes he was a jerk! I think he didnt know what was going on with me and he refused to admit that so he just wrote something down! The others were in agreance that it was def soemthing going on just nothing was showing up on the test they were doing. The MRA did show a cluster migraine but he didnt seem to think it had done that much damage! I have to be honest I am a lil scared that this will happen again, but I have to try and keep my self calm and belive it will not!

• Audra Ray

Sounds like tumor or stroke/aneurysm to me as best guess. My mom said the doctor told you it was depression? Sounds like the doctor is an idiot.

• Jan Alexander

Yeah 4 more doctors looked at it and I have a new neurologist appointment for the 3rd. Still they cant pin point what is going on with me! I almost died while I was in the hospital this past week! They coded me twice and they cant explaine how I was so sick and couldnt move my left side or talk at all and now I am talking and moving around and almost back to normal… still having some problems but nothing like before.

• Audra Ray

Did another doctor look at your MRIs, etc?

• Jan Alexander

Yeah girl I have had a lot of test ran… Just got out of the hospital yesterday I had MRI’s MRA’s CT’s EEG’s, Tilt table test ect ect ect… I have just been one big huge experiment!

• Audra Ray

Did they take the MRI of your whole brain ?
    Might want to get a copy of your MRI and have someone else read it.

• Bernice Poole

Hope you’re feeling better…..will call u later.

• Jan Alexander

I meant my left eye

• Tonya Dickson-Joyner

I don’t drink and I’ve been getting these kind of headaches, twice this year. Currently suffering from my second one and on the third week. I wish I knew what was triggering it and how to get rid of it. Just had steroid shot in the back of my head yesterday and was put on Depakote along with my Topamax and Cardizem.

• Janene Zielinski

If you figure it out, please let us know. I have had a very similar experience (and I’ve never had alcohol). It is very scary.

• Richard Gasner

Tell her to stop drinking any and all alcohol and she should not get this anymore. I haven’t had a drink in 3 years, and this type of migrane never occured again.

• Kerry Sue

I’m sorry to hear you now have the t-shirt for complex migraine. sometimes, they don’t go away. I have hemiplegic migraine and have almost daily attacks, sometime multiple times during one day. Prophylactic medications should really be explored. Of course, your daughter has multiple problems, so always best to check. However, most of us with hemiplegic migraine are treated with calcium channel blockers, most predominently VERAPAMIL. They have very few side effects and those are generally really mild. Fatigue is my biggest complaint on verapamil.

If your daughter has some varient of hemiplegic migraine, I would recommend looking into the treatments for that. You should also give magnesium citrate solution a try. It’s just a mineral, so you can just go out and fetch some. Some don’t think it helps, others, like myself, see a dramatic reduction in pain and other symptoms from this simple mineral. At any rate, you’ve virtually nothng to lose by trying on this one. There is a great deal of info on the net about magnesium and migraine. Give a look and best of luck to you and your baby girl. 🙂

• Suzy author

She did have a Echo with bubble study because she does have mitral valve prolapse from having Kawasaki’s disease as a child. It came back normal. Her right eye has drooped somewhat again since writing this on Saturday. She is still experiencing the shooting pains and headache. I have read other stories on here and I see there are many that have had to endure 6-8 months of a constant migraine. I pray to God that her migraine won’t last this long. Thank you for your story and reply. I am also praying for you. God Bless.

Suzy

• Brandon

This story is extremely similar to mine. Has your daughter seen a cardiologist at all? If not see if they will do either a TEE (trans-esophageal-echo-cardiogram) or an Echo with bubble study. Please see my story above. My grandfather, and all 7 of his siblings passed away due to stroke, and my mom and her siblings all have suffered migraines. Patent Formen Ovale can be hereditary. I am not a doctor, but it seems as though the stroke symptoms may actually be stroke, it’s been proven that there is a link to having a PFO or an ASD (atrial septal defect) (which are holes in the dividing walls of the heart) and certain types of stroke, as the holes allow the passing of small clots from one side of the heart to the other allowing the clot to travel to the brain. Please take good care of your daughter, and I am praying for you all that an answer is soon found.

Brandon