I Don’t Want to Feel Alone

… so I’m wriring my story.

I’m a 28 yo woman and I’ve been having migraines since I was 16 or 17. My mom said it was genetic, since she and her mother always had them around those days of the month. And they were nearly debilitating, just like mine. At around 19, she took me to do a CT (came up ok), check my eye pressure, sight, thyroid and whatnot… it was all clear. And yet I still struggle with it, once or twice every month, for a few days, for the past twelve years. During that time I developed a generalized anxiety disorder that made me even more concerned about the migraines. It didn’t help that, every time someone I told about them, went: oh wow… you should look into that, get a CT, that’s not good. Even though I had done it, and it came up clear, I’d start to panic and my anxiety worsened. No one I know has this. No one I know has ever had a migraine before, and it scares me to death. It’s lonely.

Which is why I’m grateful for a site like this. It makes me feel like my migraines are not a sign of a ten-year growing tumor. Just something bothersome I have to live with.

Whoever read my story in its entirety… thank you. And I wish you all the strength in your own battle with migraine.

Comments

• HelenW.
    7 days ago

I am 71 years old. I have been a Migraine sufferer since I was about 13 years old. That’s when I had my first Migraine. They have been chronic for about 5 years, and have become daily for about the past 4 years. I certainly can relate to what I am hearing and desperately am searching for relief. Taking Imitrex, which is the only med that helps. Am taking 1/2 pill a day. Trying to take the least amt possible. My neurologist is talking about AIMOVIG. I don’t know if it will help, but am willing to try.

• ladymet117
    1 week ago

Sens, you don’t have to feel alone! Everyone at some point feels that they are alone with their struggle with this disease, I know I did until I found this site! By reading everyone’s story, it tells you how they are coping with things. It also tells you some things that helped them that may just help you! Hang in there! We’re all in this together!

• Prydzopolis
    2 weeks ago

Don’t worry you aren’t alone:
    – I get anxious whenever I get into a situation when I might get a migraine
    – Every person I meet always asks me if I had checked this or tried that
    – Am 32, has them for 10 years

Keep on fighting 🙂

• Sens author
    2 weeks ago

Hey, prydz!

So glad to hear people can relate.
    Do you have any advice? Less on managing the pain, and more on the fear around the migraine attack.

Thanks for the reply!

• MaryMc
    2 weeks ago

You’re definitely not alone! I used to feel very alone because I thought no one else had such a resistive-to-treatment migraine. I’ve had chronic daily migraines since a bout of encephalitis in 1987. Over 30 years living much alone even tho I have a large family and a partner, makes me appreciate sites like this where others can really relate to you and your story. Although I haven’t found a cure yet, Never give up hope that you’ll find a treatment that works! Hang in there!

• Sens author
    2 weeks ago

Hey, Mary!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply. I can’t even begin to imagine 30 years of migraines. But then again, my past ten or so seem to have flown by, now that I look back on it.

How do you manage your day-to-day, then? Do they at least get manageable enough so you can go about work and family?

Knowing the pain we’re all experiencing… it’s admirable how you’re pushing through. I hope you soon find something that works.

• Holly Baddour moderator
    3 weeks ago

Hi Sens!

You’re not alone. And I’m so glad you shared. What you wrote, about being scared that your migraine disease is a signal of something worse, reminded me of something I went through recently, when I actually found myself hoping for something concrete, like a tumor, that could be addressed. This, because migraine doesn’t have a fix. It’s just a complex neurological disease we have to manage day after day. But it does help to get through it when we relate and connect with one another.

Please stay in touch. So glad you’re a part of our community!

• Sens author
    2 weeks ago

Thank you for the reply. It’s been tough two weeks for my anxiety, and consequently, my migraine fear worsened.

But I’m working on it.

Like you said, it’s just a matter of accepting that we’re living with a complex illness, and working on managing it. Thank you, Holly.