So frustrated and so alone dealing with very little support or understanding

I feel so very alone. It’s exhausting trying to appear fine when you are tired and in pain. Almost no one seems to care or even try to understand (my husband and one friend are supportive). My 19-year old son does not understand why he can’t where cologne in the house or why he can’t talk loudly even though I try to educate him.

Life is becoming smaller and smaller as I can do less and less as my migraines are becoming worse with age. I am working with my doctor and continue to try and find relief. I live in Canada and I am on a two-year waiting list to see a specialist. I am still working but find it hard to always pretend I am fine. I can’t talk about my exciting life as the only things I really do are go to work and go home. When I have to call in sick to work again I am embarrassed because how could someone be “sick” again. I don’t want people’s pity but some understanding or empathy would mean a lot.

Comments

• Erin

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Hang in there.

• wish4acure author

Thank you for your kind words!

• rossbow13

Hi, my heart goes out to you. I’ve just posted my comments relating my 50 year migraine nightmare and how, recently, I am finding 400mg vitamin B2 seems to have lessened attacks both for myself and my (adult) daughter. Just a thought which might be worth trying? I do understand your abject dejection when those around you cannot encompass the severity and prostration of this dreadful disease. My husband has Asperger’s, as a consequence, bringing up our thee children (all with variations of Asperger’s and bipolar 2, which I suffer from) without any degree of empathy and understanding, from those around me, I do encompass your feelings. Whatever else you do well to work outside the home (something my mental and physical ill health prevented). “Pretending to be fine” is oh so difficult but it does show your strength of character and determination. It is too late for me but hopefully for you there may be a cure or at least some better resolution in your lifetime. I manage my attacks by trying to remember the subtle symptoms of over-activity, then depression, then the pain and nausea, which always precede attacks. For the nausea/vomiting I take Paramax (not sure what it is called in Canada) and then 50mg Sumatriptan which, although having strong negative side effects, is the only Triptan that works … if I don’t “manage” the first symptoms I then find I have to lie down for hours/days … so hitting attacks on the head at the first sign is the key for me. I do send you my understanding, remembering so well how my immediate and extended family members and friends, had no comprehension whatsoever of my frequent suffering. The “pull yourself together” and “don’t you think you’re imagining it?” offerings left me feeling, as you do, isolated and alone. Thinking of you and your bravery …

• wish4acure author

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. You certainly have a full plate. Please don’t give up hope that a cure will be found in your lifetime. I hope you have some support through this website. Wishing you some good days. I admire YOUR bravery.

• erika050

I am right there with you! I have chronic daily headaches, two kids and a job. I had to get a flexible job because I too would be sick all the time. just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

• wish4acure author

Thank you for your kind reply! Wishing you some good days.

• DonnaFA moderator

Hi wish4acure, we join in the wish you have chosen to identify yourself. We’re glad you’re part of the community.

Sadly, because we are US based, we don’t have resources available for Canada, but we do have a robust population of Canadians, who, I’m sure, can share some information and resources with you. Please know that we are here to share support, or just to lend an ear. – Warmly, Donna (Migraine.com team)

• wish4acure author