Help! I Need a New Pillow

Hello. This migraine community is a haven for me. I am reaching out to ask you what type of pillow or pillow combination do you find best for those “in the bed all day with a migraine” days. I am normally a side sleeper; however, my beloved, now retired, former neurologist told me sleeping on my back was best for migraines.

My current foam pillow needs to be replaced. I thought before I went out and tried something new, I’d turn to those that know – what is your migraine pillow preference?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Maureen

I love the feather pillows from Pacific Coast. Warning: they are not cheap! However, they are awesome! I love that they can be beaten into submission and molded into place where I need them to be., e.g. when I need to rest my head but not my ear or jaw so I don’t hear my own heartbeat pounding.
    Worth every penny to me!

• Not-Again author

Thank you, Maureen. I will look into them. I totally get it about the ear and jaw – those are sore places for me as well.

• lifeinview

My favorite pillow at the moment is the one advertised on TV with the small pieces of foam. It isn’t hard like a regular foam pillow but it doesn’t break down like the others.

• Not-Again author

Thank you, lifeinview! I currently have one of those in my rotation.

• janT

Hey,
    Iv hunted high and low for a good ‘migraine preventing’ pillow. I get such bad neck ache before a migraine and during an attack. Iv found that feather pillows are the best as they can be moulded to the shape of my head and neck. Not so good if you suffer from allergies. But it certainly helped me.

• Not-Again author

Thank you, janT. I appreciate you taking the time to post a response. I will keep that in mind as my current pillow if foam which is breaking down. I also have a very tight neck and it hurts right along before/during/after a migraine.

• SouthernUtahGal

I haven’t found the perfect pillow yet, but I did get an adjustable bed about a year ago. I have found that sleeping in the anti-snore position helps to keep me on my back more, (I am typically a side sleeper) and keeping my upper body and head slightly elevated during the night has helped to prevent many migraines during the sleeping hours. Before my adjustable bed I found myself waking up in the middle of the night super sick with migraine. I still get and have chronic migraines, but I do get fewer I believe due to sleeping more on my back and perhaps being elevated while sleeping. Just thought I would share! Please let us know if you found a new pillow that helps! Anything that can bring a little relief is such a blessing.

• Not-Again author

SouthernUtahGal,
    I used to have a bed like the one you mention until the platform part broke. I would love to get that replaced. I thought I’d try the pillow replacement first as it is not as expensive. Thank you for taking the time to post a response – much appreciated!

• Joanna Bodner moderator

Hi there Not-Again!
    Thanks for reaching out! As you wait for possible feedback from the community, we have an article that we published here to our page titled “Choosing the Perfect Pillow” & I thought maybe this would help you out. Additionally, it was also shared to our Facebook page. You can read the post here and you will see that many left comments & their feedback. Hopefully this should give you some good feedback! Have a good night! -Joanna (Migraine.com Team)

• Not-Again author

Thank you, Joanna. I found and read the article and it had a lot of helpful information.