Trying to make the best of life while dealing with a migraine….

Hi my name is Tamara, i am a 43yr old woman who suffers monthly with migraines. I started having them when i was about 32. The first time i got one i called my mother and sister, who both also suffer. I actually told them i thought i had a brain tumor . And after having them for over 11 years, it doesn’t seem to get easier. I have two children who are 21 and 18. And i must say when they were younger it was harder. But even now when we are planning an event such as a party, vacation or even looking at my work schedule i have to worry about whether or not i am going to have a migraine that day.

I have been keeping a log of my migraines, and they are usually one week before my monthly cycle and also one week after my cycle ends. So now i know that its usually not a good idea to plan things around that time. About 2yrs ago i have found a medication, prescribed by my doctor that works very well. But the medication is not cheap either. But who can risk being without it. So over the years i have been able to schedule things around my migraines. But now with the medication i do fairly well, although there are those migraines that nothing helps but staying in bed and waiting it out.

My daughter now 18 has had some terrible headaches around her monthly cycles as well. I am hoping and praying its not migraines…what a terrible thing to go through. And now my dr tells me , that when your going through menopause that migraines seem to get worse. And yes i can see that happening as well. I am just hoping and praying that once i am through menopause they will go away completely. Migraines…what a terrible thing to have to live with…

Comments

• Jenn R

I am sick of these Excedrin commercilas that say if you have migraines, you know pain. Excedrin can help. Really? I’ve had migraines for 5 yrs now, and excedrin won’t even touch the pain.

• Maureen Baxter Douglas

I know….to be honest I have never met anyone who has chronic migraines that an excedrin would be anything but something to throw up.

• Clarisa Castro Barcelo

I’ve suffered from migraines since 17. Now 30 years later I finally tried the herbal supplement butterburr (along with cordycep) that many doctors recommended to me for so long. It’s working. Better than the topomax or depakotes or whatever other medication docs have given me. Hope this helps.

• Clarisa Castro Barcelo

I go to sunflower market. Look into cordycep, feverfew and also Coenzyme 10. Good luck Lorraine. My students used to know I had a migraine when they would walk into the class and it was dark and I had the tv/video. I suffered during that time. I hated it.

• Lorraine Kaldman

I can remember leading dance class with a migraine. I must have been 8 or so. Where do you buy the supplements?

• Adrian Murphy

Great to hear! I’m keeping my fingers crossed. YOU HAVE SUFFERED LONG ENOUGH!!!!

• Amy K. Hicks

Years ago my physician and I made a connection between my recurring migraines and my monthly cycle. He said it was due to the drastic/rapid dip in estrogen my body took when I got to the fourth week of my pills. So, I got off of the pill and tried depoprovera and now I have an iud. My migraines have since diminished to two or threee in about 15 years. My hormones are at a more constant level, and not chemically balanced to be affected so drastically by the change in pills once a month. Maybe this is something you and your daughter can benefit from by knowing. Best wishes to you both.

• Patty A Gumbert-Reeves

My name is patty. I suffer with migraines as well.. I don’t have my periods no more. I have tried over the counter. And does not work. My migraines get so bad that I have to miss work. Or even leave work. They are getting worse every day. If I go to the doctor they think I’m plum crazy. So what do you do?

• Maureen Baxter Douglas

Keep looking….don’t give up until one will listen. You are not crazy.

• Patty A Gumbert-Reeves

Thank you. I will be looking very hard for a doctor.

• Marquita Fuchs

you need to find a good dr. Ask your friends etc. My last dr had migraines.

• Ellen Schnakenberg

Hi Tamara,

I’m glad you’ve been able to find a medication that is helping you. Are you on a preventive as well?

Menopause can be very iffy – sometimes Migraine attacks lessen with menopause, sometimes they get worse. My experience was a worsening I’m afraid. That said, my menopause was thru ovarian failure (not quite complete) then chemical, then surgically induced. Things have gotten better since my surgery, but it has been an experience. Everything with Migraines takes a lot of patience. Don’t lose hope, and keep looking for something that will be helpful to you. Finding support in groups like Migraine.com is another great way to help learn how to deal with them. We are glad you’ve found us!