Worse in recent years

I had my first migraine at age 9. I remember calling home sick and my mother saying I just didn’t want to be in school that day. I didn’t care. I thought I was dying between the light and the naseua. Every little sound pounding through my skull like a marching band playing off key. I got home threw a blanket over the window and passed out for the next 15 hours.

Luckily for me in the early part of my life I did not get them very often. I did not understand what I had and neither did my mother who is not a sufferer. As I got older they got slightly more frequent but by then I knew what I was dealing with. Tylenol, cool compresses, and sleep usually toned it down. Then I turned 17… I was in a horrible car wreck and recieved a pretty bad concussion. After that the migraines started coming semi-frequently. (at least 2 per month).

By the time I turned 21 I had become a pro at determining what were basic headaches and what was the onset of a migraine. Sometimes I could stop them before they got horrible, others would hide in my house with all the lights off, ringer on phone off, and a sitter for my newborn child. Sometimes for days.

Then came my 2nd child and a fall down a flight of stairs. 3 weeks after that I developed a migraine that I just couldnt get rid of no matter what. My husband took me to the ER. That was my first experiance with the injections in the head. Now 5 yrs after that first injection I have several under my belt. Have tried more different types of meds than I can count, and am resigned to a lifetime of migraines. At this point in my life I am just hoping that one day they will find a medication or treatment of some sort that can get rid of these things for good. As a mother of 4 small children I am already missing things when I get knocked out with them. I don’t want to miss any more.

Comments

• Suzanne Johnson

I too have daily migraines and spend way too much time out of my child’s life. I am at the point of resigning myself to accepting a cohabitance with the disease. I try hard not to let guilt get the best of me, it’s hard. When I’m down & out that’s it, but when I’m able to live a life with my family I am thankful and enjoy it to its fullest. I am extremely thankful for a wonderful supportive family (most of who suffer from migraines as well). My husband is my rock, for someone who has never had a migraine he is uniquely understanding & helpful. I think all mothers feel the same when it comes to migraines verses their children. It’s helpful knowing you are not alone.

• Angela Reisinger

I can totally empathize with you. After my daughter was born I started having migraines. I feel like I have missed out on so many precious moments since her birth due to my headaches. =( I have also tried head injections, countless pills and nothing has worked for me long term either. I feel like I have missed out on so many precious moments as well. I hope they find a cure soon.

• Dee Price Montgomery

I have not had any type of head trauma but I do suffer with migraines pretty much daily. I cannot remember the last time I was a headache free. I have two small children and don’t get to join in on all the fun things they do. I don’t want my kids growing up with their only memories of mom is that she was always laying down with a headache. I know this is hard on my family as well and I wish they could understand exactly what I’m going through. I have tried tons of different medicines and also had injections but no luck. I really Pray that sometime soon they can at least find something that may help to control this beast called migraine.

• Paula DeWitt

I, too, suffer from frequent migraines just like you. They were horrible until I went to the Gynecologist. He has helped me tremendously. Mine was a hormone problem. Have you had this checked? I really hope this will help you.

• Paula DeWitt

Angela Reisinger .. I was on nortriptyline for a little while but it just didn’t seem to do much for me. Now, I have yet another issue going on and I am on Megestrol. I have experienced migraines but NOWHERE near as severe as they were. I also take Treximet at the onset of a Migraine. Within an hour, I am back on my feet. – The Treximet can cause lockjaw (only for a short amount of time) but I can handle that much better than the headache that puts me in bed for days. I hope this does help you some.

• Angela Reisinger

Paula.. what did they do for you? I thought mine was hormone related as well and they tried me on progesterone pills but that seemed to make my headaches worse. The doctor decided that it was not the issue.