Never give up!

I am 62 years old and have had migraine disease since I was a small girl. I have seen many doctors, taken many medicines, and have tried many other ways to get rid of the pain in my head.

Of course, there has been more to deal with than just extreme pain in my head: there is the sensitivity to light and noise, nausea and vomiting, sensitivity to items such as perfume or cigarette smoke, and visual aura and nerve tingling. Then there was the neurologist who many years ago told me that a migraine is just a headache – no different than any other headache. I never saw that doctor again.

I have seen doctors who only treat headache and/or migraine disease, have gone to Mayo Clinic, have had acupuncture, have followed a VERY strict diet, have exercised on a daily basis, and have taken so many different prescription medicines that I can’t remember them all. This has cost me a lot of money, the loss of a good job and having to file a claim for Social Security disability. I have had to cancel untold get-togethers with family and friends, have called in sick so many times over the years and had to deal with the skepticism from bosses and coworkers. So many people find it hard to believe that a “headache” could make one so sick. I got over any guilt I felt years ago. And, after all this, I still have migraine disease.

My Mother had migraine, her younger brother has migraine, 2 of my cousins have migraine, and my younger sister has migraine. I have spoken to so very many people over the years who also are dealing with migraine. I could have lost hope of getting better, but I refuse to give in. I will continue to increase my knowledge of migraine and share it with others. I read about new medicines that are coming and more research being done to better understand this strange disease.

This disease has cost me so much in so many ways. However, I have also learned a lot about myself and how I deal with difficulty. I have made new friends who are also dealing with this disease so I know I am not alone. That gives me comfort; it may not stop the pain, but it gives me comfort.

There has not been any treatment I have received which has lessened the frequency of migraine attacks for me for any lengthy period of time. I remain hopeful and will never give up!

Comments

• Maureen Baxter Douglas

Thank you for sharing. I am 43 and suffered for years. I have just decided I too won’t give up and I also won’t give up living. I may not always have great days but the good ones I think I appreciate more the older I get the and worse the migraines get.

• Maureen Baxter Douglas

• Vivian Sharp

I think of you every day, Maureen. I used to have migraines once a month (thought that was unbearable) but not since I went through the change. Much love and prayers that you will find help. Always we know that God’s grace will be there for you.

• Yasmin Sulayman Turner

• Yumekco Little

Thanks for your story. I’ve suffered migraines for the last 25 years. There hasn’t been one thing that I can pinpoint that has helped me. I use icepacks and dark rooms. I’ve spent a lot of money trying to treat them. And it is hard when there is no health insurance to assist….but when you do get some, migraines are considered as a pre-existing condition and can cause you to be denied or have a large deductible. I pray that we all find some relief.

• Marcia Nanney Rodman

I have them too. I actually fell asleep with a frozen bag of chicken on my head a couple of weeks ago. I was out of ice. It was the only thing that gave me any relief.

• Maria Heydenburg

I am 73 years old and have had migraine headaches since I was 12 years old. I agree with all of you. loud sounds and certain kinds of mucic, bright lights, certain perfumes, cigarette smoke, flavored coffees are a few of the many things that affects me.

Stress and lack of sleep or too much sleep will bring on the migraine headaches. I don’t let it bother me. My family and friends are very understanding of my situation. I have 5 children and have a son who also gets them. I take a medication my neurologist have prescribed for me which I need to take at the onset of my headache. It’s called RELPAX. It will get rid of the aura and the symptoms associated with the headache.

But be prapared to take a nap soon afterwards, because it will make you sleepy. I never know when I’m going to get a migraine. But have learned to live with them and what I need to do when I get them.So hang in there everyone! I hope a cure for us will be found soon and if not for our generation, our children and children’s children will be able to benefit from it.

Nice to have met all of you.

• Helge Inge Aasebo

Hope you do good,Mom! Miss you all! Hugs. 🙂

• Lexie Scholl

I get 2 to 3 migraines a week. The only thing that takes the pain away is a drug called Zomig and I have to take it at the first sign of pain. Unfurtunately, health insurance companys charge alot and don’t want to give me than 6 pills a month..thank God for Astra Zenacca and their Prescription Help Program.

• Helen Rosenblatt

Yes, migraine has totally shaped my life and is still interfering with what I want to do. I have learnt to deal with it. I thought after the menopause I might get some relief but the migraines are still there but different.

• terri

May I borrow some of your optimism? I’m a bit short on determination today. My “never give up” seems to have a leak in it somewhere…

• Krista Furgerson

Thank you for sharing. I try to not lose hope but I go back and forth with it. Something has got to work!

• John M Jannotti

I have had them since a very early age. I am right there with you. For a couple of years I would have a migraine for 30-40 days at a clip. With a 1-2 day respite. Kinda sucked.

• Rosa Sundquist

Shirley, Thanks for sharing your story I can relate 100%… I’m 49 years old have experienced almost all of your experiences.. I don’t have friends with migraines, wish I did we understand each other.. Migraines on both sides of my family, mom, sister, grandmother, same with my paternal side… Although at times I wonder why me and feel like I can not do this anymore I try to tell myself others have it worse keep your head up and keep moving.. I will never give up and continue to educate myself , family and friends about Migraine’s.. I’m thankful my husband and children are so understanding I push myself as much as I can somedays I don’t get too far… 😉 Today I’m a 10 :((( tomorrow hopefully much better..
    We are not going to give up, we are going to make it “happen” to live pain free someday soon!

• Georgia Slesinger

Hi, Shirley T:) I can totally relate to your post. I’m 61 and have suffered since I was 28. I’ve gotten over the guilt finally too. When invited to something now, I just reply “maybe”. If I’m well, I go. If I’m not, I don’t. I don’t even worry about people, who, for the most part, aren’t even interested in understanding this disease. I’m old enough to know now what works and what doesn’t and thank God, old enough to not to feel like I have to explain myself. It is what it is. I’ll never give up either, but I’ve made peace with it.

• Georgia Slesinger

I know, Gerry:) I have:)

• Migraine Independence Coaching with Gerry Fryer

Georgia,
    Please see
    It is possible to make peace with what can be a lifetime disease!

• Georgia Slesinger

I have fibro as well, Sue, so I understand. I’ve noticed that the changes in the weather can trigger migraine or fibro as can stress. People like us have to take one day at a time and be gentle to ourselves even if others aren’t.

• Sue Wells Poyneer

I UNDERSTAND GEORGIA . I have Fibromyalgia and I never know if I am going to have a good day or hour. Lots of pain lately.

• Anne-Marie Allen

Thanks for sharing Shirley…All these stories help so much. They remind us we are not alone and many people suffer the same things we do and go through the same trials as well. It is a REAL disease and you can NEVER give up on yourself. Peace and God Bless.

P.S. I am with Linda on how you stopped feelling guilty, because that me friends is a hard one. Clue us in.

• Linda Barham Nabors

Shirley, you are the type of person I would like to be in contact with. I would love to talk about what you have tried, how you deal with others not believing you, and how you deal with guilt. How did you go about changing your thinking and giving yourself a break. I am so hard on myself that I find it hard to change things in my life.

• Migraine Independence Coaching with Gerry Fryer

Hi Linda,
    My FB page might appeal to you.
    This article distinguishes between the Pain (physical) and its ramifications (Suffering)

• Jennifer Collins-Gonzalez

Shirley, I share those feelings! I have also been through many of the same situations coping with this chronic disease! It is not easy to live with and you are so right that others in your life can not or will not understand how very serious and difficult it is to live with daily! But, like you said we will continue to learn as much about this disease as we can, accept it and keep a positive outlook! May God Bless You! Jen

• Connie Brown Poindexter

I am the same way and I can’t find a Doctor worth a damn to help..So you just struggle.

• Bambi Brown

HAVE HAD MIGRAINES SINCE I WAS 13, TO DATE, AND HAVE BEEN TO MSU NEUROLOGY, AND U of M NEUROLOGY, AND MORE DOCTORS IN BETWEEN THAN I CAN EVEN REMEMBER ANYMORE, AND HAVE BEEN ON SO MANY DIFFERENT MEDS TO PREVENT, OR ABORT MIGRAINES THAN ANYONE SHOULD EVER TAKE, AND THE MOST IT EVER DID WAS TAKE THE EDGE OFF FOR ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO, AND THAT IS ALL.
    BEING A MOTHER OF 4 KIDS, IT WAS ROUGH AT TIMES WITH BABIES AT HOME HAVING MIGRAINES, AND MY HUSBAND, THOUGH VERY UNDERSTANDING, COULD NOT COME HOME FROM WORK ALL THE TIME, SO WE JUST HAD TO DEAL WITH IT. I STILL HAVE THEM REGULARLY, AND PROBABLY ALWAYS WILL.
    AS LONG AS YOU KNOW YOUR TRIGGERS, AND THE SIGNS OF ONSET, IT IS A LITTLE EASIER TO OFFSET THE SEVERITY IF YOU ARE PREPARED FOR THE OUTCOME IN ADVANCE. AND KNOWING MOST IF NOT ALL MEDS WONT REALLY HELP, IF NOT MAKE IT WORSE, (EXAMPLE BEING, THE MIGRAINE COCKTAIL MOST HOSPITALS USE, MORPHINE, DEMEROL, AND PHENERGAN, I HAD IT GIVEN IN E.R. SO MUCH I AM NOW ALLERGIC TO MORPHINE..) JUST DO WHAT HELPS MOST, ICE BAGS AT NAPE OF NECK TO REDUCE INFLAMMATION, QUIET ROOM, DARKEN IT IF POSSIBLE, SOFT MUSIC IF IT HELPS TO CALM YOU, A CANDLE WITH PLEASING SCENT IF IT HELPS, MANY THINGS CAN HELP EASE THE PAIN, WHEN MEDICINES CANT..BUT THERE ARE DOCTORS NOW WHO SPECIALIZE IN MIGRAINES, NEUROLOGISTS, WHO WORK WITH PATIENTS JUST FOR THIS REASON..FIND THEM, WORK WITH THEM, AND HOPEFULLY YOU CAN FIND WHAT HELPS YOU MOST…