No hope in sight

I’m 20 years old and I have suffered from migraines since about 2 years ago. I have a constant headache every single day. I wake up with one and go to bed with one. I can deal with those. I have a migraine now 5-6 days a week and they last sometimes for weeks. When I get them I completely shut down I get the fatigue the chills my vision goes blurry I can’t talk coherently. I’ve been tested for vitamin deficiencies but nothing. Along with these I think I have arthritis and I have constant pains in my body.

I just need someone to tell me I’m not alone and there is hope. I want someone to tell me there is a problem but there is also a cure or treatment 😞

Comments

• yirogers
    1 year ago

You’re not alone. :o). I agree with nadiateresa, you may have Fibromyalgia, but you need to see a GOOD rheumatologist to be sure. I went through similar symptoms and also thought it was arthritis. Dietary changes (especially cutting out sugar and simple carbs) and good sleep are great starting points. One thing that might seem minor, is your pillow. Is your pillow supportive enough? A better quality pillow vastly improved the frequency of headaches and migraine triggers.

Once you start to weed out what’s what, you can manage things and start to feel better. Hang in there.

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! It means so much to me knowing I’m not alone and I have support ❤️

• nadiateresa
    1 year ago

Hiya, you have my sympathy, I know what you are going through, it’s possible you have FIBROMYALGIA also have you had your Thyroid checked. ?
    Try CBD oil you can purchase this from Bluebird either in the UK or in the States (online)
    It is expensive but well worth a try and it’s pure.

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I’ve never bought about having fibromyalgia. I’m not even sure what that is to be honest. But thank yo Igor reading and taking the time to reply

• KathyR

Hi Kaleigh,
    You don’t mention the meds, if any, you are taking. I have had success, after 20 years
    of migraines, with a combination of propranolol and nortriptolyne taken every day.
    Separately, neither one worked. But together it has really helped me.

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I’ve been trying different medications (with the help of my doc) but nothing seems to be working I’m seeing a neurologist this week so hopefully they’ll help some

• rosie.smiles

Hi there,

So sorry to hear of your difficult time. I was in a similar situation, with pain in my head constantly…always a headache to some extent, and then frequent severe migraines on top of that (as well as other health problems). I tried all kinds of medication, supplements, injections, natural treatments, dietary changes, etc. and nothing worked. I had migraine surgery (nerve decompression) last year and it worked wonders for me; it was like a miracle. My migraines are 100% gone, and so it is the constant lesser headache. I do get some headaches here and there, but nothing like I used to get and I no longer take any prescription medication…usually if I get headaches they’re caused by a tight neck or being tired and a little ibuprofen or an adjustment or some sleep usually takes care of it. If you have any questions or would like to know more about the procedure I had, please let me know!

Please know, you are not alone and there is hope! I was in a very similar situation to yours, and now I’m migraine free and living a normal life. There is hope!

Take care,
    Rosie 🙂

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I really appreciate the support and positive comments it makes me feel a little better knowing I’m not alone with all of this! Thank you for taking the time to read and reply

• lightweaver
    1 year ago

You are so young for this to be happening and for it to be so severe. I have years in between migraine years. This might happen for you. I had a hysterectomy and found that migraines were related to my periods. You never know what might help. I do know acupuncture and massage helped me.

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I appreciate this! Thank you so much

• sn50

Hi Kaleigh,

I suffered from migraines and cluster headaches for about 6 years now. For awhile they did seem to get better but then they came back about two years ago. I first started on topomax (about 6 years ago) which took a long time to work but once it worked I stopped getting both types. Once I got off of it I was a lot better until about two years ago. Since then, I have found two wonderful doctors that have made such a difference. I started taking a high dose of verapamil 4 times a day and it has made such a difference in my life. I also started breathing in oxygen for 20 minutes when I got a headache. Surprisingly, it works so well. I also take imitrex so that I have two angles working. Not sure if the oxygen or verapamil would help but wanted to let you know that I have been there and through time and trial and error I have found a treatment that is effective. There are times I get the headaches for 12 days at a time. You are not alone and there is an end/cure insight, keep hopeful! 🙂

• kaleighann15 author

Thank you so much!

• pam bitterman
    1 year ago

I am so sorry! As you are just 2 years into this nightmare, might I suggest that you see a nutritionist and get tested for food sensitivities? Although this is not a cure, it has helped me identify a multitude of triggers to avoid and I in general have experienced better health, such as a body-total reduction of inflammation and aching. worth a try and not chemical or invasive. good luck and try to stay hopeful!

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I haven’t thought about maybe possibly having a good sensivity I’ll have to check!

• Holly H.
    1 year ago

kaleighann15: As I wrote to another young person recently: You’re right, there is comfort in knowing we are not alone, because our chronic disorder is in itself so isolating. My heartfelt sympathies go to the young who are bound to this chronic migraine life. I believe you totally and am so for you… I’ve been at this for a very long time myself, and I really do understand.

Just a thought? And why I am telling you about it is because I often find today’s young people quite creative and also lively thinkers…
    I have been making myself “My Personal Journey” computer wallpapers for quite a while now (in my 60’s), and seeing it while I am on the computer (I turned off my TV, and if I watch anything, it’s on this laptop and briefly, but I mostly listen to audio books).
    It gives me a bit of distraction with writing out what I feel, or writing out what I’d like to say to someone like me, putting in an applicable quote, Bible verse, etc., all the way to a photo capture that makes me smile. …This summer, I spent a bit of time putting in various backgrounds and only the words, “Today I Will Not Give Up!”
    I change them constantly, because it is so therapeutic to me. They are a way of incorporating My Personal Journey into a visual chapter.

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply ❤️

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi kaleighann15,

It’s true – you’re not alone! We’re here for you and understand how difficult living with migraine disease can be. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Unfortunately there currently is not a cure for migraine disease, but don’t lose hope!! We are making strides in migraine disease and headache disorder research . There’s a new medication that reduces migraine attacks by 50% (which is huge) coming out next year that is exciting!

There are over 100 medications and supplements that can be used for migraine prevention. It may feel like we’ve tried everything there is for migraine disease, but that may not be the case. When you get a minute take a look at this article on migraine prevention medications; https://migraine.com/blog/migraine-preventives-start/.

Something to keep in mind when we start new medications is it can take up to 90 days before we see a reduction in our migraine attack frequency and severity. As our body adjusts to the new medication, potential side effects may lessen as well. I know that seems like a long time (been there, done that) but the thing is if we don’t give each medication a fair trial, we’ll never know which one would have been the one to work!

I hope this helps!
    Nancy

• kaleighann15 author
    1 year ago

It helped thank you so for taking the time to read and reply!

• Luna
    1 year ago

“I just need someone to tell me I’m not alone and there is hope. I want someone to tell me there is a problem but there is also a cure or treatment ”

You are not alone and as long as there is life there is hope. You definitely have a problem and there are treatments to try. Sometimes it is trial and error to find the right combination to help. Migraine is much more than a headache it is a whole body experience. Am sorry to say there is no known cure. Hopefully your medical care provider is well versed in migraine and its many manifestations, triggers and possible treatments. This journey takes a lot of courage, energy, fortitude and perseverance.
    I think that a moderator will point you to some helpful articles but that is beyond me at the moment. Not tracking well right now. Peruse this website it has a lot of helpful information.

• kaleighann15 author