Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

What is Happening

I have had migraines with pronounced aura since puberty but only once or twice a year. Over the past month I have experienced sever aura with vision changes hallucinations mood changes and confusion treated with migraine tablets before pain sets in. I am 37 year old female. Why the escalating symptoms? Should I see a neurologist?

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.


  • Snoopy10
    1 year ago

    I think it’s worth seeing a neurologist with what you are describing. Try finding one that specializes in migraine as the moderator notes in her post.

    When I was diagnosed with migraine it manifested as MDdS and I had an abnormal MRI so I panicked and went to the first neurologist who would see me. He diagnosed me properly but long term I needed someone with more of a focus on migraine.

    Don’t be scared by the vision changes and hallucinations, I get those too. Not like I see a unicorn-type hallucination but I get a lot of wavy lines and visual distortions. I think it’s fairly common.

  • Luna
    1 year ago

    My very episodic migraine attacks started increasing in frequency as I got closer to peri-menopause and into menopause.

  • Snoopy10
    1 year ago

    I’ve had this same experience. Much worse as I get older. I’m 46 now.

  • Deena9
    1 year ago

    Hi Nickylouise,

    Sorry for what you are going through, I can totally relate. I used to get migraines with aura once or twice a year, just like you, and mine have also picked up in frequency in the past few weeks. I am not experiencing hallucinations but my mood has definitely been affected. I also have a cold right now, but not a bad one. Fortunately, I am seeing my GP tomorrow. I am really nervous about what could cause the change in frequency. I have not seen a neurologist, but will be asking my doctor if I should. Keep us informed on how you are doing….hopefully, this will calm back down soon for both of us.

  • Joanna Bodner moderator
    1 year ago

    Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing such a tremendous change in your symptoms. As you wait for possible feedback from the community I wanted to be sure to mention that while severity and frequency can change over time, anytime there are new or worsening symptoms you should always speak to your doctor to rule out anything more serious. So yes, I would encourage you to see a board-certified headache specialist or neurologist. Keep us posted if you can!

  • Poll