Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

20 Minute Naps

I get complex migraines on the daily, usually after waking up from sleep. These will often make me tired, like artificially tired. So I'll try to go to sleep.

Less than 20 minutes later (sometimes 30) I wake up full of energy, with a severe reduction of my symptoms and a bunch of energy. This will even occur at my normal sleep time causing me to lose sleep.

I've read about headaches from naps, but I'm getting the opposite here. Any advice, insights, or anyone else have this situation happen to them?

1. Hi sumosuma,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm a bit unclear about your question.

Are you waking with migraine pain, or it goes away after sleeping?
    Let me address both!!

When we wake with migraine pain, it may be an indication of a sleep issue, and not only sleep apnea. There are a number of sleep disorders that can trigger a migraine attack. If this is the case, it may be worth discussing having a sleep study with your doctor.

On the other hand, if sleep helps migraine pain, that's a good thing. Sleep is thought to be a natural abortive, stopping the migraine process. If I can get to sleep in the early stages of a migraine attack, I can sometimes stop it.

Does that help?
    Nancy

1. Right I'm familiar with migraine headaches being solved by sleep. I've had to use that option multiple times before when medicine isnt an option.

Although I find it strange that a very quick nap would provide such relief. It's also a complex migraine, so I really often don't feel "pain" as much as have a bunch of other symptoms. I find it really weird that it wakes me up. Even if I set an alarm, I often will wake up before the alarm goes off. Not to mention if I am planning on sleeping 8-9 hours I will still wake up within that 20-30 minute period fully alert and with better cognition.

I'm also getting tired 3-4 hours after waking up, to the point of repeatedly yawning and nearly falling asleep on the spot. I get 8-10 hours of sleep, and I know repeated yawning can be the sign of a migraine. I also get chills/tingling which also can be a symptom.

I've had multiple sleep studies, so apnea is definitely out of the question. As well as any other sleep disorders.

I've talked to my doctor about it, but I have a lot of other symptoms too and she didn't make anything of it. Pure curiosity here.

2. Hi sumosuma,

Thank you for the update. Maybe others in the community will be able to help?

Nancy

Please read our rules before posting.