caret icon Back to all discussions

28 years of migraines? Severe light sensitivity. Debilitating.

Hi all. I've just joined this forum - I'm at the end of my tether. I'm 53 years old and started to get these weird headaches when I was 26. Ther's no rhyme or reason for them. I had an operation on my nose when I was 28 to drain my sinuses and since then I've just lived with them. I'm on Amitryptiline but they don't work at all. They are so bad, if I'm driving (and I've video'd this to show my doctor), I have to pull over because my eyes are streaming with tears and I can't open my eyes. Then it goes to a certain level and I can drive again, but it will come back. I'm usually better at night time. I've jsut tried to get on with my life really with little help - they are so debilitating I haven't had a holiday for 28 years. I can't go to work (I work for myself) and they have ruined my life. I don't even know if they are migraines. I always thought they were brought on by insomnia and so have been on sleeping pills for ten years, but some days I can have little sleep and I'm ok. I can't remember if I've had a head scan but I'm going back to the doctors to try and get this sorted and get her to look at my medical files. Actually, I'm going to ask for them so I can read myself. Does anyone think these are migraines? Thanks.

1. Hi Kris1965,

Welcome to the Migraine.com discussion forum and thank you for sharing your story with us! We're glad you've found our site.

As much as I wish I could tell you what is going on with your head, only a qualified doctor can do that. Once you get an accurate diagnosis, you'll be able to get the correct treatment and then learn all you can about migraine disease.

You may want to keep a detailed migraine diary to identify what triggers them and see if there are any pattern to them. Let me share with you how to keep a migraine diary here; https://migraine.com/blog/keeping-migraine-diary-basics/.

Good to hear you'll be seeing your doctor. This information can help you get ready for your appointment; https://migraine.com/getting-help/six-tips-for-migraine-patients-at-your-doctor-appointment/.

Let me know how it goes,
    Nancy

Please read our rules before posting.