Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

3 day migraine

Hello,

I suffer from chronic migraines and have been having a 3 day migraine. Tried Magnesium 500mg, Chewable Ginger 500mg, Execdrin, Advil 400mg, Tramadol 50mg, Peppermint Oil, and even cannabis oil.

Called outta work today because I'm a vet tech and cannot imagine being able to handle patients & clients when my head has a heart beat as loud as Boeing 757 and feeling like I am going to vomit constantly.

I have no insurance but have Imitrex injections at CVS on stand by. Only issue is they are $256 each and I don't have that!! Using Peppermint oil on my temples, forehead, and soles of my feet but my nausea is scary insane and my head pain makes me want to slam my head into a brick wall.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

1. Sorry, that really stinks!

Not sure what zofran (nausea med) costs if you pay out of pocket, but there is a generic for it and that works really fast and well for me with nausea.

Triptans like imitrex do not work for me, so if I can't get into the infusion center for IV meds for my migraines, they typically last 5-7 days, then pass on their own. I know that doesn't sound like a very pleasant way to spend the next few days, but I am comforted to know it's unlikely to continue indefinitely. I use a LOT of ice on my head in the meantime, for pain. For me, taking painkillers can cause rebound headache, so be sure to read the new guidelines that have come out on how many times it is safe to take a painkiller per month without causing more headache.

1. Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll keep up on Magnesium, start icing my head and pop a large dose of Benadryl. I had generic zofran from when I had the flu but the doctor won't refill it and I don't know why.

The tramadol was like a last resort. Narcotics typically cause rebounds but this time it didn't, thank God.

My area is supposed to be affected by the nor'easters forecasted for the east coast / mid Atlantic region so hopefully I can make it to work. Utterly terrified I'll lose my job but what can I do? Sigh.

Please read our rules before posting.