Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

5-HTP

Has anyone tried 5-HTP?

I've been using it for a couple of months now. I get it at Costco. Supposedly it is for "calming" but I haven't noticed any of that. I have noticed that if I have early symptoms of an impending migraine, 5-HTP will make it go away...for about 3-4 hours. I end up taking 4-6 a day which is kind of annoying (especially at night). I don't take it if I don't feel a migraine coming on.

It has allowed me to avoid rebounds without medication, and put more days in between migraines. I generally don't respond to mild medication so anything that helps at all is pretty great.

1. Hi Blaine,

Thank you for sharing your success story with us. I don't have any experience with 5-HTP but maybe others will be along to lend their experience with you.

Did you speak with your doctor before you started taking this supplement? "Natural" supplements are not harmless, they do interact with other medications and it's always a good idea to discuss taking new things with the doctor first. Take a look at this article for more information; https://migraine.com/blog/natural-migraine-remedies/.

Nancy

1. Hi Blaine

Do you still take 5HTP for your migraine attacks? It sounds you only use it to treat an actual attack rather than as a preventative? Curious for an update?

1. 5-HTP is harmful because it is neurotoxic. It causes long term or even life term damage to your serotonin cells, neurons, serotonin system. It is only healthy and non toxic if the body produces it itself. And never take L-Tryptophan either because that can cause a heart attack or heart pain or other problems.
        You can drink 5 glasses of cow milk every day which is healthy and contains the serotonin precursors so your body can build the 5-htp itself. but milk can cause a headache in some people....

1. , your information is interesting. However, we don't give medical advice per the Community Rules. This policy is for everyone's safety.

I am familiar with 5-HTP, and I know it can interact with certain medications. That's why it's so important to ask a healthcare provider before trying a natural supplement. Quality is an issue as well. ~ Peggy (Migraine.com team)

https://migraine.com/about-us/community-rules/

Please read our rules before posting.