Tell us about your symptoms and treatment experience. Take our survey here.

caret icon Back to all discussions

50-70 age related Migraine issues

Many Migraine forms discuss topics that pertain to newly diagnosed or the younger crowd, however, many of us had Migraines our entire life and are looking at retirement years wondering how it will affect our life in the future. Are your children grown with children of their own? Have they moved back home? How does this affect your Migraines with the additional stress? Are you still able to care for your self especially during a migraine attack? Has your caretaker or spouse passed away? Are you caring for your elderly parents in addition to your migraines? How do you feel about how the medical community when it comes to your migraines? Have you developed additional health issues and the medication to treat it is worsening your migraines? Are you having difficulty with walking and balance? Have you isolated yourself?

I've suffered with Hemiplegic Migraines for 63 years and gone through many stages of the disease. Children and grandchildren are grown, they've move out, back and out again. My parents health declined entered nursing home and pass in 2015-16. My migraines interfered with my ability to participate in many of the events mentioned above and become more of a concern and fear now that I'm getting up in years. Elderly migraine patients have many complaints and concerns, so don't hesitate to start the conversation.

I love to hear from other seniors who suffer with migraines with your concerns, tips and ways to combat old age with migraines.

1. I’m 53 have had headaches and “car sick” as a 2yr old. My mother only 16/17 sometimes I wonder if that had any effect??
    Flash forward; maigrained we’re not Debilitating until around age 9 or 10 when I started menstruating. 1987 when Imitrex first came out, my life change! Still have to watch out for serotonin syndrome when I need Imitrex too often went through the whole gamut of all the pre-tentative medicines and being that I am only 5 foot tall and a redhead and small frame I feel side effects from every medication.
    After two neurologists and the passing of my childbearing years I now can function on a daily basis. After trying everything that’s come on the market since Glaxo first introduced Imitrex into my life it is still the only thing that I can take and function with keep a job still drive take care of my children etc.
    I do live in fear that when I am old and in a nursing home and there’s no one left to care for me who Lil know to inject me with Imitrex when my eyes don’t look quite right? I fear I will develop some complication like heart problems or something that will prevent nursing home staff from giving me Imitrex plus it’s extremely expensive life without it is terrifying

1. Imitrex was my life saver too. I'm also sensitive to other medications. I often think what will I do if I develop cancer and will I be able to withstand kemo treatments. I try to keep busy as I can, so I don't think of such things, but there are times when you see stuff on the news and your mind just starts to wonder.

2. I don't have older parents but I do have a husband significantly older than I am. I'm 71 and he is 84. He has significant cardiac and pulmonary issues. I have severe back pain with neuropathy for which I am on an opioids and gabapentin. My migraines didn't start until I turned 50. Then they have hit with a vengence. I'm out for the count as at least half of every month. On those days my husband handles most of the kitchen duties. I too worry about what will happen when I am widowed. This is likely to happen sooner than later. I consider every day he is still with me and still able to function a blessing.

I have been through the usual list if medications for migraines and none have had much impact. I don't know what will happen if I end up in a nursing home. I'm trying to get my insurance to approve Aimovig, one of the new CGRP medications but they are making my neurologist jump through all kinds of hoops. I suspect they will deny it.

So, I fear the future since I have no family. It does stress and depress me a good part of the time. I'm already fairly isolated because it is almost impossible to become involved in anything with time commitments. I too often have to cancel at the last minute do to migraine activity. I think it was Betty Crawford who said something on the order of getting old ain't for sissies. I would have to agree!

2. I'm 57 years old and have had migraines since I was about 12. I remember having "headaches" and having to lay down and rest. Mother would give me tylenol at the time. But the "headaches" persisted. I will say I don't remember having any head pain while I was pregnant twice. Now my kids are 34 and 31 x 3 (yes, triplets). I don't believe the pregnancies have anything to do with the migraines progressing. I believe the 3 vehicle accidents where my head and neck were severely jarred have everything to do with the migraines. I've seen several chiropractors over the years and none have helped. I'm seeing an Upper Cervical Chiropractor - will only adjust the neck when it needs it. I rest my neck when I can, I got a new pillow (not sure that's helping or hurting), still have neck pain (and have had this for a dozen years or so). I think the muscles in my neck are just really sore from having to stretch to accommodate my neck bones that were out of line for so long. I think it will take time for those muscles to pull the other way and release the tension. I have a massager I use all the time to temporarily release the muscle tension - especially during a migraine. But my migraines are now chronic daily. Lovely, right? I have triggers that will bring on a migraine as well: strong cologne/perfume/aftershave/soap/lotion, cigarette smoke, vehicle exhaust, bright lights, strobing lights(even the sun blinking between the trees as I drive by), loud continuous noise, severe heat (over 75 degrees). I know, I'm a freakin' basket case. But I'm hoping that the chiro will bring me SOME relief. I don't think he will totally eradicate the migraine since I have so many triggers. I am looking to retire from work at 62 (5 more years!), so many of my triggers will go away or slack off since I won't be at work.

1. Hi Nancy. Thank you for the info on MOH headaches. As of today it is 35 days of withdrawal and no triptans. The first couple weeks were difficult but I think the Ajovy injection has been helpful with the intensity of some headaches. There have been a few mornings I’ve awaken headachy and have taken 2 ibuprofen which helped. I had dreaded having to cancel commitments during this withdrawal period but I made the pledge to keep commitments at a minimum which in turn kept my stress low. On 2 occasions I used Migranol nasal spray. It is not very pleasant to use but allowed me to attend an important event. I am determined to succeed with this withdrawal process.

2. Hi reliefnow,

Good to hear you've moving through rebound. I know it's not pleasant, as I've been there before.

Please keep me updated on your progress!

Nancy

3. lebell2 - Thank you so much for asking this. I'm 47, the youngest of 4. Migraines run in the family and they have definitely changed as I get older. They started out when I was a kid. A couple of extra strength Tylenol did the trick, but not now.

I recently stayed with a family member who I hadn't seen for 3 yrs. We talk daily and she knows about the migraines. But she is used to me being able to eat and do anything. Now I have a long list of my don'ts, as they can trigger migraines. I don't have the answers. But I am curious how everyone takes care of the migraine disease as we age.

Great question. I anxious to hear other responses.

1. I have had migraines the last 47 years of my life, I'm 54 now and it is getting worse. (20-25 migraine days/month). I took part in the AMGEN CGRP Trial. (without success) so I feel depressed as there is not much in the pipeline for me anymore at the moment. In April I will get a neurostimulator (DUCEST) in my ear, but I do not have much hope that it will work. I have tried nearly every medicine on the market against migraine. I have stopped working. I changed my diet. I have lost all nearly all my friends. The only persons that stick to me is my husband and my parents (My mother is 87 and still has migraines, so she knows what I am talking about). I live in Austria and migraine treatment is very difficult for Austrian doctors/neurologists, as they do not learn anything about it in their study. I had to visit neurologists in Germany that have more knowledge than the Austrians. I have spent thousands of € on the migraine-treatment.

1. 43, my heart goes out to you. What a horrible situation, to lose one's friends. People do not understand migraine is not just a "bad headache." Are you not able to get triptan drugs in Austria or Germany?

2. Double posted

Please read our rules before posting.