Making note of three good things that happen each day is one of the best tools I use to help me cope when migraine wears me down. It may sound like a small or silly thing, but it has kept me going on days when I felt like there was nothing good in my life. Please join us by replying to share *your* three good things each day this month (or as often as you’re able).
I came to the forum tonight after a particular wearisome day, looking for tips on what to do when I’ve just had enough, when I feel like giving up and life seems so gloomy and I came across this. Thank you :-).
My three good things for Nov. 1 are:
-My not usually affectionate cat came over to me while I was laying in bed and curled up in my arm to snuggle.
-I was able to snuggle with my daughter and watch part of the Amazing Race on the laptop tonight. I love one on one quality time with my little girl!
-I was able to get a few minutes of exercise in today.
I am so glad you started this thread, Kerrie, because I was remembering how much I loved keeping a gratitude journal back in the day and figured November would be the perfect month to start something similar (if even just for a few days!).
Three good things for Nov. 1st:
-To my utter surprise, I felt GREAT today, physically speaking.
-Jim and I spent a lot of good time together, tidying up our leaf-strewn backyard and laughing a lot.
-One of my dearest friends lives across the street, and I was able to hang out with her on Halloween and then spend the first ten minutes of Nov. 1st being silly and laughing while eating fast food (oops!) in her driveway before going to bed.
Three good things for Nov. 2nd:
-I had been worried that my cat was not feeling good (and, due to past trauma, having a sick cat is very upsetting to me)–turns out he is a-okay and doing fine.
-JIm and I attended a memorial service for a casual friend of ours who died suddenly, and though I am so sad about Greg’s passing, I looked around that room and thought about how grateful I was that so many people had him in our lives. He was a great guy, and I’m grateful to have known him.
-I got a message from a friend I’ve been missing.
Having really bad day today but my 3things today are
1, I got out bed, may have been 6pm but still counts lol
2, I managed to eat something slightly more substantial than toast.
3, my dad called to ask how I was.
1. I was asked to share three good things that happened today, and I feel better just trying to think of good things to report:)
2. A lady gave me a present (lemon cookies in a plaid tin) that was a “just because I was thinking of you” gift. How fun!
3. I planned ahead and brought food with me to church, which I snuck out and ate between the song service and the preaching, so I did not get my very frequent, “hungry” migraine.
Yes. I am definitely thankful today and feeling good!
Thank you Kerrie for starting this!
1–I was able to be home in my warm apartment all weekend to rest and catch up on life
2–I enjoyed a wonderful restorative yoga class
3–I heard one of my favorite radio programs today
1. I didn’t need the wheelchair at church today.
2. I was able to attend our small group potluck after church and meet some great people.
3. My mom called and said some really encouraging things to me.
1. People responded to this thread even before the post went up explaining it.
2. I made it to my mother-in-law’s birthday brunch and felt great
3. It was surprising when a severe migraine symptom hit today because my symptoms have rarely been that extreme in the last year.
Kerrie, I stumbled upon this while looking for something else. But, I’m very happy you started this. Maybe it will help improve my outlook. Besides the daily chronic migraines, I have several other health problems that need daily, constant attention. I often wonder why God is allowing all this. That’s all I’m going to say about that.
Nov. 1 3 things: 1. I was able to finish up on some recent mail that needed attention.
2. I was able to go outside and water some of our plants.
3. My husband came through his back procedure well and is recovering well.
Nov. 2 3 things: 1. I was able to have lunch at Costco and walk around there.
2. I found some mats for the kitchen at Costco.
3. I had 2 very excellent naps today.
Just read about this message on Facebook. After a awful night, my 3 for Nov. 3 are
1 I’m grateful to be up and moving with only a slight headache
2 I’m grateful for my husband coming home from work and giving me a kiss and asking if I was better
3 I’m grateful that my daughter and her family are moving back home today
1. Amerge worked quickly today so I won’t lose this day to migraine
2. My daughter is taking the first half of her state cosemetology board exam today
3. My son was able to go to school migraine-free for the first Monday in weeks.
1. When someone asked me how I was feeling this morning, because I had my sunglasses on inside, I was able to tell them that I felt fine and was just on my way back outside.
2. I read some lovely pieces of writing that my students did.
3. homemade pumpkin scones… yum
My 3 good things for Nov. 3:
1. I went for a walk with my mom, and then after I dropped her off my dad walked me back to my house. I love having my parents live so close now!
2. Tired of wasting food after feeling pretty sick last month, I used up a lot of yummy produce today and made a great soup for dinner (low-maintenance dinner, too–the Crock Pot did the vast majority of the work!).
3. I got to read a LOT the last couple of days and have two new books I can’t wait to recommend to my customers at Avid Bookshop. 🙂
1. That so many people are sharing their three good things! (Thank you! It’s heartening to see the good in people’s lives.)
2. The large, delicious variety of apples available this time of year.
3. The ultrasound I had for a lump in my breast came back clear.
November 3, 2014
1. I had a very bad migraine and was expecting my brother for lunch. I was able to lie down with ice on my head for a while before meeting him.
2. Lunch with my younger brother, whom I haven’t seen in a long time, since we aren’t able to travel.
3. A long, restful nap after lunch.
November 4, 2014
1. I had another really bad headache today. My husband was able to listen out for the UPS delivery of his medication while I slept. His medication was delivered and then we were able to have lunch and go out on an errand.
2. I voted today.
3. Our younger grandson called (faithfully, now) and we had a lovely conversation.
Its bonfire night here in uk so lots of smoke and fireworks going off but still have 3 good things
1, spent day and night with friend and kids with fireworks
2,kids laughter. Love them to pieces and even managed to jump around and be silly with them
3, my friend gave me food for my lunch tomorrow as she knows I did a lot today and probably gonna regret it tomorrow. Especially the cola I drank.
Today’s a tough one as I’m not feeling well but have a ton if responsibilities to take care of so I decided to log in and post!
1.I’m going on a trip tomorrow which should be a lot of fun.
2. I found time for a small nap today.
3. A client liked a design of mine.
Just what I needed.. 1. Today was the day after a horrid severe migraine so pain had eased a little. 2. My good friend picked me up, took me to the docs and then tucked me up at her house so i could rest. 3. Became well enough to walk around and.cook dinner and.snuggle with my son watching wallace and.gromit (so actually a lot more than 3) 🙂
I’m so enjoying reading everyone’s three good things. It’s like a little celebration to see what’s making you smile on difficult days. Thank you for sharing with us.
My three good things for Nov. 6:
1. My neck and shoulders are looser today after the back rub my husband gave me last night.
2. I was able to follow the video of a complicated presentation from the June American Headache Society conference.
3. My husband told me he is proud of me.
This is a great thread. I’ve been routinely writing thankfulness posts on Facebook, but it really grabs me to see other folks with migraine doing it!
1. My husband is having his long-awaited knee surgery today, and it will hopefully provide some relief.
2. I have made it to day 6 of my Whole30 elimination diet.
3. I haven’t had a completely full-blown, puking-my-guts-out-locked-in-a-dark-silent-room migraine for about 5 days!
1. I went to yoga today.
2. I’ve made good progress this week on taking care of everyday tasks.
3. I get to celebrate my friend’s upcoming wedding all weekend at her bachelorette party (I am reminding myself to take it slow and not give myself a bad Migraine!)
1) Being thankful to wake up without a headache…
2) Spending time with my parents (91 & 88) and my daughter today…
3) Another day with my 15 yr old 85 lb puppy dog…He’s a champ & still rocking!
There are so many things to be thankful for and it is a beautiful fall cool day today and SATURDAY!!!
I started doing this on my own 3 years ago. I made a pact with my best friend that we had to end every e-mail with what we call Gratefuls. No specific number. We usually e-mail 3 times a day and we would never send one without adding gratefuls. Can be anything. There is always something no matter how bad the day.
#1. my sleepy puppies #2. only #1 pain level this morning #3. my kind employer
Yes, I’m a couple of days late in my posting, but I’m going to catch up.
1. It was my husband’s birthday, and I was able to make his breakfast fun and good, with lots of Happy birthday greetings from our friends.
2. I took my friend to lunch for her birthday, which was several days ago. She had been out of town, and this was our first opportunity to do this. We had a terrific lunch, where I tried something new at that restaurant.
3. Took my husband for a birthday supper to Outback. We both enjoyed it so much, had enough left for supper the next night, and even ran into a couple of our friends there.
As I said, I am late posting, so I’m catching up:
1. Head was really bad, but I was able to put some water on the plants in my backyard.
2. After my second nap, I was able to do a little weeding in the hibiscus in my front yard.
3. A friend gave me a new book to read. She knows I read a lot, and she was sharing with me.
I am caught up to today now.
1. Managed to get some groceries this morning and ran into one of my good friends at the grocery store.
2. Read quite a bit of a new book.
3. Went out to supper because I was feeling too bad to bother with cooking and had a delightful conversation with a friend there.
1. Had a nice, relaxing breakfast in bed with my cereal.
2. It rained all day, which confirmed my suspicions that these weather fronts are killing me. For sure, they are a trigger. I thought so before, but now I’m positive. Nice to have that validated.
3. Caught up the current mail this evening while sitting with my hubby and watching tv.
Saturday November 8th
1) Had a great Stephen ministry class at church
2) Called an antique store and put a deposit on a phenomenal 1950’s kitchen table and 6 chairs that I saw 2 weeks ago and couldn’t stop thinking about
3) Had a comforting night watching tv and snuggling with my hubby
Sunday November 9th
1) Made it to the early service at church
2) Did a favor for the friend who drove me to Jefferson Headache Clinic (from Illinois!)
3) Discovered that the paint on my kitchen cabinets scrapes off easily, so I can repaint them for a whole new look when I get my new table and chairs
Monday November 10th
1) So grateful that the weekend wasn’t ruined by migraines for a change
2) I’m going to a funeral today for the baby daughter of a woman in my Stephen ministry class. I am so grateful that her faith in The Lord has not wavered in spite of her tremendous loss, and that He continues to comfort her
3) Puppy kisses when I woke up
Had a looooooovely meditating session to start the day . . . thank you Glenn Harrold !
Found someone at work who has been treated as poorly as I have . . . I am not alone . . . Y-E-A-H !
My neck pain from the weekend has finally subsisted . . . phew !
1. Great yoga class focused on shoulder work
2. Off a medication for some tests and not feeling too hot — this is good because it tells me the medication is probably working.
3. I’m about to curl up with a book for the evening.
1. Received exciting news today that my niece and her husband are expecting a baby!
2. My son called this evening and we had a lovely chat.
3. Managed to go to the retina doctor with my husband and drove him around to the places we needed to go afterwards.
Pretty good day, especially considering I felt so bad.
1. Took a nice long, hot bath.
2. I have a wonderful husband and son at home who constantly help me when I am in pain and can not do for myself (both of whom, helped draw my bath).
3. I made it through the day without to much head pain.
1. At least one more day of beautiful weather before it gets super cold in DC.
2. A friend went out of her way to visit yesterday on her day off.
3. My house if full of people because everyone has the day off!
I’ve had a very hard day with my migraine and have slept a lot. However, here are 3 things that I think are good today:
1. Sleeping as much as I needed today.
2. Having something in the refrigerator to put together for an easy supper.
3. My husband really likes my simple sandwich lunches.
Not done tho for few days as been bit up and down.
1, started my online reflexology course. Happy that could actually concentrate for small portions of time.
2,felt well enough to make some homemade soup for a very good friend who has been looking after me but is poorly with her 2 kids.
3, its a mild day so think will go a wee walk and get fresh air xxx
1 Managed to get my car service charge reduced by £ 130 . . . great negotiating skills by email !
2 Car service booked for 28/11/14, rather than this Friday and a friend is now taking me out for the day, rather than me attempting a cleaning session on Friday as I expected . . . YEAH !
3 Car will be cleaned as part of the service . . . DOUBLE YEAH as last time I did it myself my neck pain was horrendous and it kicked of a right migraine.
All car service related today but I am sooooo pleased that I have got a reduced rate, a car clean thrown in ( will be nice to see Bianca in gleaming white again, rather than the mottled grey she has been for months ! ) and even more so that I am having a day out with a friend, rather than a cleaning session this Friday as that causes neck pain / migraines too !
I’m a few days behind, so I’ll start with yesterday…
1. I got to scrub in for my first surgery at my new job AND got to do some amazing things!! So loved it.
2. Got home at a decent hour, although tired with a headache, and spent time with my kids.
3. Went to bed at a decent hour and slept well!
Nov 12- today!!
1. My patient from yesterday got extubated today and is doing great!
2. It’s cold today, but no snow thankfully!!
3. Getting my haircut in a little while… due for some ME time 🙂
Just found this website and hoping to find more answers and clarity:)
-Opportunity for education at the University I am at.
-Help offered to me at school to succeed better due to my disabilities in learning and health.
-My wonderful internship and the family I have found there.
AS I am on day 10 with this horrific headache, I am going to try to give 3 things….
1. I was able to get out of bed. It was not easy, but I did it.
2. As I have sle lupus as well as nasty migraines, I am without a fever at the moment.
3. Vision is only blurry in one eye….I think this is about the worst headache I have ever had.
– my kids, although unruly, are the cutest!!
– I have the best husband around- and most understanding. Best at taking care of our house and kids!
– My grandmother made it through surgery today. She’s the only one I have left
1 – Today is Friday and I don’t work Friday’s anymore . . . Y-E-A-H !
2 – Bought myself a HoMEDICS Shiatsu cushion that soothes tired muscles with its massage mechanism . . . looking forward to trying it on my neck while meditating after my day out with my friend today.
3 – Today is a washout ( just short of torrential rain ) and I am not disappointed, even though we are going on a trip to the coast and will have to eat our fish and chips inside, rather than outside looking at the sea like I love to do on a bracing day . . . soooo pleased that I have a much more positive outlook on life now thanks to mindfulness training . . . my glass is more than half full, rather than just having a splash in it pre mindfulness training !
This is a terrific invitation I can’t refuse to do this out loud…
1. Talked myself into a good night’s sleep last night and a good waking time this morning.
2. Made it to work on time, barely rushed, which cuts down a ton on the pain. 🙂
3. Finished my work week tired but below a 5 today. Wonderful.
1. Woke up with bad headache but hubby brought me one of my frozen gel caps right away.
2. Daughter (step) and granddaughter are coming today to visit.
3. My puppies are staying by my side. They always seem to know when my heads not good. Great dogs!
I have been feeling under the weather and busy with lots of offline activities, so I’ve missed several days. I guess I will just pick up today. 🙂
1. I have some great helpers who have stepped up to look after Baby Girl, wash dishes, do laundry, and take care of meals while I have been sick.
2. My baby boy turned 18 last Sunday. He is such a wonderful young man!
3. I really like my son’s girlfriend. She is so cool and laid back — just what he needs right now.
1. My husband got the “all clear” from the doctor after spending 2 days in the hospital.
2. My son is home from college & I’ve gotten a couple of great hugs from him even though I’m too sick to get out of bed.
3. Finally breaking a 9 migraine down to a 7 Tonight
Haven’t posted in a few days but glad to log on and read what people have been writing. Here’s mine for the day:
1. I woke up without a migraine today even though I slept in (a trigger).
2. I got to see an art show today.
3. I met some new interesting people which always brings new opportunities and possibilities in life.
1. My baby boy took his first flight without family. He and several other Eagle Scouts who are elected leaders in the honor society, Order of the Arrow flew to Indiana for a national meeting with other young Boy Scout leaders. We dropped him off at the terminal and picked him up. Everything else he did all on his own. So proud of the young man he is becoming!!
2. Today my granddaughter is 6 months old. 🙂
3. The men in my life did an awesome job helping me clean up the clutter and get the house back into usable shape. Dishes are clean, laundry is done, trash is out, and tomorrow’s dinner prep is already done. And I didn’t have to do any of it.
1. I helped out my tenant’s association today with some data entry.
2. I talked to a dear friend of mine on the West Coast
3. I helped my grandparents move into my parents house this weekend and everyone is settling in just fine…except maybe the cats.
1 – Entered my third week of giving up alcohol for MOVEMBER and doing soooo much better than I had expected . . . I can’t believe that I have made it through three weekends of going out for lunch without touching a drop of alchohol !
2 – Got an appointment with my Neurologist for my full year review / Migraineur MOT tonight . . . should be interesting !
3 – Today is the first day at work without the leader who has treated all of my illnesses appaulingly . . . don’t suppose the way I get treated at work will improve much but at least this brings new hope from today !
1. Read a great journal article that advocated for refractory migraine patients (and not blaming us)
2. It only took 10 minutes to peel a big pile of carrots
3. I’m about to take a hot bath and read a good book
1. Discovered a new, natural way to abort cluster headache attacks.
2. Took a nap with Baby Girl
3. Got to catch up on some TV shows I’d been missing
1. Botox consultation is today!
2. Going shopping with Baby Girl. She is my favorite shopping buddy.
3. Slept through the night, thanks to CPAP. Really happy to have my sleep schedule back on track.
1 – Got discharged at my yearly Migraineur MOT last night with the invitation to call to make an appointment, should anything change and I need one . . . still got to complete those flipping daily migraine diaries though !
2 – Got on the scales two days early and was really pleased to find that I have lost 2 lb already . . . whoohooo !
3 – Only one more day at work this week and then my 3 day weekend begins . . . Y-E-A-H !
Has been a few days as I have been struggling with a bad brain the last few days (worse this morning!) but I am behind.
Here are mine
1. New internist who was kind. Concerned about my long hx of migraines and happy to refill meds which doesn’t always happen
2. Instant referral to neurologist with appt in just a few weeks! Very happy. Was expecting several months.
3. Can’t sleep but got some Christmas shopping done online
1. LOVE my new Botox doctor! Really looking forward to my first round of injections schedule for the week before Christmas. They will kick in just in time for the worst time of the year for me and migraines.
2. Had so much fun with Baby Girl yesterday. She was such a good baby. Being a grandma is the BEST!
3. So pleased with my son’s new therapist. I think he really can help.
1 – After a challenging day at work my weekend has begun . . . Y-E-A-H !
2 – Got a really comforting savoury mince and double dumplings in the oven almost ready to eat . . . Y-U-M !
3 – Had the will power to turn down a glass of wine when I got in, even though I was really tempted after such a challenging day . . . only 10 more days of MOVEMBER left before I can touch alcohol again . . . DOUBLE YEAH !
1. I made it to yoga class. I really needed that.
2. I made the smart decision to skip dinner tonight with friends. I’ve been having some bad headaches this week and I don’t want to end up in the ER. I will miss them though!!
3. It’s the weekend!
1. Felt very productive today.
2. Realized I’m going to have a month off from childcare duties starting in 2 weeks
3. Felt the love of dear friends today. There is nothing quite like a friend who has known you since you were 12!
1. Macish’s post about the man flu made me LOL!
2. I love my slow cooker. What a perfect gadget for a migraineur bc now I don’t have to worry if I’m ok to cook dinner. I can set it up when I feel well.
3. I had some good quality family time today. And it was nice out to boot, which is hard to come by in late November!
1 – My gorgeous husband has just given me the money for my expensive replacement tyre after I damaged it mounting a kerb quicker than I should have done on a bad head day . . . I am a lucky lady !
2 – Got invited to the Disabled Staff Network Christmas Lunch at work next Tuesday and it is paid for . . . all I need to pay for is my drink . . . now there is a real positive for being classed as Disabled under the Terms of the Equality Act 2010 !
3 – My Christmas Cake is all made and Christened “Connie” and a reminder is in my diary to lather her in Cointreau every 4 days until she will be iced on 20 December 2014 . . . I just love a home made Christmas as it gives me something to focus on when I am struggling to sleep with neck pain and need to get up early doors !
Thanks for continuing to share your three good things! I love seeing what’s going well in everyone’s lives. I’ve been swamped and not feeling well, so I haven’t gotten to the computer, but I’ve been writing them down the past few days. For context, I attended the American Headache Society’s conference in Scottsdale, AZ Thursday to Sunday.
1. The American Headache Society conference’s opening remarks were touching (the doctors’ stories actually made me cry!)
2. Talked to a bunch of headache fellows at the conference — so excited to see new doctors getting into the field
3. Went to the wedding of a lovely couple
1. Got to catch up with a friend
2. My friend and I talked about ways can collaborate for headache and migraine education
3. Talked to some specialists I hadn’t met before
1. Finished reading a great book
2. My husband was very sweet
3. Drafted some articles about the conference
1. Friends arrived to stay with us for Thanksgiving
2. Did a major grocery run
3. Played a game I love
1. Slept straight through the night
2. Woke up eager to write
3. Today’s has the best food in the four-day rotation diet I’m on
1. Got to visit my old neighborhood
2. Showed my friend what cotton looks like when it’s still on the plant
3. Had my favorite coffee
1. My friends said I should just give directions and they will finish cooking our Thanksgiving dinner.
2. I get to eat sweet potato pie.
3. The book I’m reading has just gotten really interesting.
1. My doctor is going to squeeze me in for an appointment tomorrow to take care of my sore elbow
2. Patient husband who understands when I can’t do as much as I want to.
3. Enjoying the nice weather while it lasts
1. A family doctor with a great sense of humor and big cortisone shot
2. Last minute shopping with my Baby Girl
3. A flexible family who is willing to gracefully excuse me from meal prep on Thursday
1. Taught my daughter how to roast a turkey.
2. The house smells wonderful!
3. Nice visit with Baby Girl’s daddy.
1. A migraine-free holiday!
2. A quite evening at home with just my hubby
3. Time and focus for website maintenance and edits
Thank you all for participating! November is almost over, but this thread will remain. Please keep posting your three good things or at least thinking about them. Getting back into the practice this month has helped me to manage an increase in depression symptoms — which has been a fantastic reminder of three good things. I hope it has been helpful for you, too.
1. That this month’s three good things “challenge” has been so successful.
2. I’m getting caught up on work.
3. I’ve identified increased irritability and tearfulness as depression symptoms and increased my medication.
Thank you again for participating! I love reading about the good in everyone’s lives despite the weight of migraine.