Near daily migraines

I’ve had migraines since I was little, and now at 26 they’re almost daily, and if not, they last for days anyway. I’m triggered by the weather the most and becoming more and more sensitive to environmental triggers. Some I can control, others I can’t. I get botox every 91 days, steroid injections every six weeks, birth control, pain meds, muscle relaxers… and it only makes it so that life is somewhat manageable. The Botox by far has made the most difference.

I hate the dependence of having to live with my parents and being unable to have a sustaining job, but the intensity is just too much to allow that.

I have a service dog that alerts me and does what she can to alleviate/serve as a distraction. She’s literally a life saver sometimes. Without her and the support system I have in place, I don’t think I’d have made it this far.

Comments

• LeeRab
    11 months ago

I’m working to get a service dog to alert me. What training should I be looking at for my dog? Are there specific organizations that will help me train my dog?

• Debbie Lindley

I have my service dog for migraines too. He helps alot. Because when the headaches make it through all of the preventative medications and I start adding all of the after meds life sucks for 3-4 days. If I can catch his signals and take the after meds early than I can hopefully get ahead of some of the pain. Then he curls up with me and we sleep. He is a big cuddly bear of a doggie.

• Julia Brat Fridrich

I experience debilitating migraines. They are so severe that I will vomit, go temporarily blind, become completely unconscious and 60% of the time experience convulsive seizures. It took me 34 years to discover what was happening to me since many of the symptoms can be attributed to other ailments. It was only due to the helpful service of my neurologist to finally diagnose them as ‘Basilar Artery Migraines’ or (BAM). Bam is right on the money since that’s how I feel when they hit me… BAAAMMM! Then I’m down on the ground seizing. I have incorporated the use of a service dog into my life. Her name is Yuki and she is a gift from heaven. She detects the migraines anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour before. This is the time permitted for me to take my migraine medication or to locate a safe, dark place to rest. She will also remind me to eat, since I sometimes get caught up with my graduate studies and forget to bring my sugar levels and hydration back up to normal. She lays my my side during an attack and lays across me not allowing me to get up until I start normalizing. I am currently training her to pick items up for me since bending over exasperates the pounding in my head.

I also have severe neurocardiogenic syncope (NCS) so my homeostasis must be maintained at all times. I could not live without my Yuki. Before her, I remained in my house refusing to go anywhere without a family member accompanying me. Passing out is incredibly scary and embarrassing. Now I have my independence back and I am just so very grateful.

• Jodi Thorson

How does your service dog know when you are going to get a migraine?

• Dedra Steele

I was partnered with my Service Dog Goodee for other reasons but she alerts me to migraines and has been a real life-saver in that area.

• Ellen Schnakenberg

BinxsMum – I’m so glad you’ve written your story here! I’ll bet the majority of Migraine patients had no idea there were service dogs that can help to alert them of an attack, and help them through it when it occurs. Until Dr Marcus wrote about them here: “What can we learn from Migraine alert dogs?” http://bit.ly/dOQbhZ I had never heard of dogs specially trained in that capacity. Your reply by the way was fabulous and fascinating at the same time. Thank you so much for your terrific contributions!