Diagnosed with Basilar type migraines

I was just diagnosed with Basilar-type migraines today. This after many months of different medications, a missed diagnosis of epilepsy, treatment for depression, a 5-day hospital stay for a video EEG, and complete change of lifestyle. I basically have to give up my career for I can’t seem to keep up with it and because I’m a sales rep that’s required to drive frequently and vertigo and driving don’t seem to go together.

Any words of wisdom from other BTM sufferers out there?

Comments

• Natalie Stean

I havebeen toand from thedoctors for months since I had my lil boy 5months ago. last weds 28th march my hubby had to take me to hospital where I was thendiagnosed with BTM I’m taking Imipramine at the mo and have started to feel better but I constantly walk like I’m drunk and I really don’t want to give up driving but fear I will have to. My symptoms: Double Vision, zig zag in vision, Vertigo, dizziness, loss of balance, nausea and not able to think or speak. It was really horrible when I jus couldn’t stand up, i just toppled over like a tenpin.

• Bonita Hansen

Hope you get some safisfaction and relief, there is nothing worse than feeling out of control.

• Nidia Cruz

This is incredible. I was just diagnosed with Basilar-type migraines 2 days ago. I have dealt with these type of dizzy-spells, aches in the back of my head, neck and shoulders, sinus-like symptoms for over 4 years. I have been to allergists for the sinuses so many times. I have been to the eye doctor for my blurred, hazy vision so many times. I have been to the psychiatrist and diagnosed with depression now, but it never made sense. I worry because I have been getting these dizzy spells many times a month, even a week. I hope treatment will aid in making this manageable ecause I am in sales, too. Needless to say, this has taken a toll on my career, making me frustrated. Anyone dealt with recovery and preventative treatments? Does it restore quality of life to any extent?

• Alma Maria Eugenia Hurlbert

Wow sorry ur not feeling well. Hope u feel better soon. Must have been very frustrating.

• Sonia Blandon-Espinosa

Omg Nidia! Thank God they finally found out what was wrong! I was praying for you. There’s light at the end of the tunnel now! Love you girl!

• Elizabeth Ann

I feel you pain my love: sitting a hospital bed. I was diagnosed with crohn’s disease about 5 weeks ago. My flare up was so bad this week I just had surgery tongans out part of my colon andy appendix. I am sorry for tour pain, but we all have our “crosse.” hope you feel better soon.

• Becky Williamson

My daughter has these type of migraines also and has had to go on disability. She passes out before the migraine comes on and when she comes to she has a full blown migraine. They were under control since November but the Topamax dosage was so high it was affecting her liver so they lowered it and now her migraines are back with a rage! Nothing seems to help when she gets one and she is having them every other day. We’ve had multiple trips to the ER for treatments of DHE, Fenagran, Benadryl and Dalantin. It helps for a couple of days then it comes back. She is only 26 and it is ruining her life. We go to a headache clinic in Springfield, MO. They have been able to do the most for her but it is 4 hours away. That is hard.

• Farmer author

Thank you. I will try the forum area. It helps so much to know I’m not alone and there are others such as yourself that understand. Thank you for your response. It comes on a very trying day for me as I’ve been suffering almost all day with symptoms. Perfect timing!

• Ellen Schnakenberg

Farmer,

I don’t have Basilar-type Migraine, but I do understand what it’s like to give up a job and deal with the daily challenges Migraine Disease throws our way.

You’ve obviously been through a lot, but you’re still out there trying to educate yourself by talking to other patients. That’s one of the best things I ever did.

You might try asking your question in the forum area. There is a discussion about Basilar type Migraine all ready to place a comment on 🙂 http://bit.ly/fV1OJI The site is very young yet, but if nobody replies right away, maybe you would tell us more about BTM!