Weather migraines getting worse?

I’m a 24 year old female from Boston, MA who is currently struggling with weather migraines. This never hasn’t been an issue for me before this year. I may get one or two after a particularly long hot spell, but never the consecutive terrible ones I’ve been getting this summer.

Have other people noticed a similar increase in intensity and frequency in their weather-induced migraines? If yes, have you found anything that helps with the intensity? I am on day 5 of a heat/pressure induced migraine that I am hoping will end with some severe weather this afternoon.

Comments

• daw49

I can relate with you. I have had daily migraines here in Phoenix, AZ due to barometric pressure flutuations since June. I get Botox every 12 weeks and I still get these migraines. I’m wondering if Botox is no longer working for me. My headache Dr. Prescribed a med that is meant for high altitude illness. It hasn’t been effective for me. I so want my life back.
    Godspeed….daw49

• Kareninatree

Hi, I live in Calgary, AB Can. I am terribly affected by weather changes. We had the worst weather this summer. Thunder storms everyday for about two months. Every storm gave me a migraine. In bed for 3 days for some of them. This is really unusual weather for Calgary. The past winter also had very abnormal weather. I can’t help but think these changes are part of global warming. I feel so tied to the environment and I am seeing it deteriorate. It breaks my heart. It also makes me feel that my pain will forever be getting worse. Can you image telling your friends that don’t understand migraines; “Hey take the bus instead of your car, my my migraines are from global warming.” Crackpot is what they would call me.

• DonnaFA moderator

Hi Kareninatree (love your username!)! I’m sorry to hear that you’re having such a hard time. There certainly has been a huge shift in weather patterns over the last several years. I thought you might be interested in reading A Week of Weather-Related Migraines which also discusses global warming as a factor in migraines.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for being part of the community. -All Best, Donna (Migraine.com team)

• Allyoop

Hi engr15, I live in AZ and barometric pressure really gets my head going with Monsoon season. I have been toying with the thought about cerebral spinal fluid thing lately. I have a Chiari I formation (where the cerebellum hangs down too far into the spinal shaft) Saw a Orthopedic Surgeon (best in the state). He thinks its from a car accident I had at age 22, I am 57 now, but says he doesn’t think that it causes my recent migraines. Migraines are not genetic in my family, but I do have a long standing scoliosis. Maybe time for a back specialist??? Weather certainly causes some of my migraines and its gotten worse over the last 2 years.

• Leilani Siplon

YESS!!!! Mine have been ramping up since late June. It turns out that I have a cerebral spinal fluid pressure problem, and the slightest changes in barometric pressure make my head pound. Even when the AC comes on at work, my head pounds a little bit. Ugh.

• engr15 author

Hi Leilani!

Thanks for the comment. I had no idea that cerebral spinal fluid could be the issue. I have had similar experiences with AC. I was toying with the idea of moving, but now think it would be good to explore whether something else is causing my pressure migraines before I do.

• Chaigirl

Hi engr15!
    Your story really resonated with me. I live in San Francisco but I’m from Boston and spent half of my life there. I’ve had migraines since I was a little girl,
    I’m now 61 and weather has always been a trigger for me. I remember when I lived there how the summer humidity, especially before it rained, ruined me. The fluctuation of barometric pressure is unfortunately a trigger for a lot of people. Do you experience it in the winter, too? When I was growing up, nobody talked about migraines and I certainly never heard of them. All I knew was that I felt like shit with a horrible headache and had to cancel plans. I even got fired from a job because I had my head in my hands on my desk and they thought I was asleep! Lol but it isn’t really funny, is it. It is a curse from hell, actually, and they impact your life like nobody knows unless they suffer, too. My heart goes out to you, my dear. Don’t give up and please take good care of yourself and do whatever you can do to get the help you need.
    I heard Mass General has a good clinic there. I miss Boston so much! Good luck.
    Chaigirl

• DonnaFA moderator

Hi engr15! Welcome to the community. we’re glad you’re here!

You’re not alone. We have more articles on weather-related migraine triggers than I can list individually here, but you can find them, and some really lively conversations that accompany them, at the link.

I’d also like to invite you to join the conversation on our Facebook page.

Thanks for reaching out! We’re always here and happy to share information, support and just to listen. -All Best, Donna (Migraine.com team)