Frustration to the MAX

I have had migraines for about 20 years. at first was told that the pain was due to my sinuses. I have had 4 sinus surgery’s since I was in my 20’s I am 54 now. the last one a few years ago. With each surgery my pain got worse more often and more intense. I finally found a doctor that diagnosed me with migraines, so probably all that sinus surgery was not necessary.

Anyway so I am at the point of dealing with migraines every other day for a few months now and feeling muscle weakness, and very little energy physically, mentally I am great happy but sometimes it is all I can do just to get through the work day. Currently on Relpax, and butterbur,coq10, vit. B. magnesium I have already tried Depakote, Topamax, blood pressure meds.

Sinus meds, and rinses up the the hilt all which triggered migraines, and now I use zetonna in my sinuses frustrated with the passing back and forth with doctors, the side effects of these so called prevention meds, and I feel that sometimes my husband doesn’t understand why I am getting them so often and I feel he gets fed up with it.

Well that’s my story the short version.

Comments

• Tracey Reiner

OMG, your me! I have had 4 sinus surgeries and migraines since I was about 12. I rinse with anti-botic, anti-fungal and just old salt solution but no help. My migraines haven’t gotten worse since the surgeries though, thank God. I find that the “modern” medicines just give me rebound headaches and it becomes a loop of one after another. I can tell the weather changes by my headaches really well. If I stay away from chocolate, red wine and go to the accupuncturist I find it helps. Good luck to you and so sorry that anyone has to go through this. No one understands fully unless they have it themselves, sad to say.

• Janet

Carmella
    I sadly nod in agreement with all your comments and shared frustrations as far as meds, side effects and a husband who doesn’t understand. In his behalf..and my husband’s ..it’s difficult to watch so done they love in constant, chronic pain. What my husband doesn’t understand is that when I do make the effort to get up and try to do so etching, anything even remotely productive …he thinks I’m migraine free. The real truth is the migraines turned chro in for me 13 or 14 years ago. Having one every day is something nobody but a fellow sufferer can understand. Frustrated to the max….I stand with you today….the last 8 days have had me at a number 10 ….

This is a great group of people who have many resources that are shared so you won’t ever feel alone in your struggle….but sadly we do love alone I side the pained head…waiting for anything…something.

Blessings
    Janet

• Carmela H. author

Thank you for your concern it does feel great knowing that there are those who know just what I am talking about. Although I am sand that there are so many in the same boat. They can send a machine to Mars but they can’t find out what is best for a migraine! huh

• Lilly

Carmela I feel your pain. I have suffered with migraines for at least 30 yrs., I have had two major sinus surgeries and each time my migraines have gotten worse. I had my last surgery in 2011 and since then I suffer with migraines at least 4-5 days a week and the pain is more severe. I had to quit my job (of 32 yrs) because I have missed so many days due to this disease. I have been prescribed several prescriptions including Topamax and Depakote but none of them have worked and they also had bad side affects, especially weight gain. My neurologist now has me on Amitriptyline 50mg every night, which has helped me sleep, but I still wake in the early a.m. in severe pain. Many times I am able to get the pain under control by taking Imitrex along with 2 Aleve pills or I give myself the Imitrex shot. I’ve had a brain scan, CT scan, and EKG, all of which were clear. The last time I saw my neurologist he told me that he felt it was definitely sinus related and referred me back to my ENT. My ENT takes a look at me and tells me that he feels my pain is definitely migraine and tells me I need to return back to my neurologist. I am at a loss and I’m sick of being in pain!! I had a migraine so severe last week that my husband had to take me to urgent care for a shot for pain and nausea. While there my primary care doctor told me she was going to find me a neurologist that specializes in migraines. We just recently moved to this area so I’m having to find new doctors. I’m still waiting to hear from my primary about the referral. It’s really hard suffering from a disease that no one knows how to treat. It is physically, mentally, and financially exhausting!! I am so thankful to have a husband that loves me and understands that I am suffering.

• Carmela H. author

I feel your yoyoness! it gets to the point where you grow weary of doctors and the yoyo affect they cause, intentional or not. I just want to be able to go to one caring doctor for everything! isn’t that the way it used to be? Thank you for your concern, and keep on doing what is needed to get better. I hope that you find a greeeat doctor,

• David Aranguren

Had you done food allergies tests? Environmental? Maybe you’re sensitive to several allergens.
    Do you think of any misalignment on your TMJ, had you check any upper spine or neck issues?
    Could be a combination of a couple of factors, doesn’t ha e to be just one cause.

• Carmela H. author

yes,yes and yes did all the above to no avail. I do have allergies in ejviroment but wear a mask when needed. thanks have a great day

• Carmela H. author

yes,yes and yes, all of the above including medication that was suppose to help with it all. No significant allergies after allergy testing “nothing to warrant the kind of pain that you have” quote, No TMJ as per Denists ect… I do have some environmental allergies which I try to control when I am around them by wearing a filter mask. Oh well thank you for your concern. Have a great day.

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi Carmela,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Being in chronic, daily pain is exhausting, frustrating and just plain awful. I truly understand and empathize with you.

I wonder if the doctor you are seeing a “true” migraine specialist by any chance? Neurologists can be very good doctors but have a hard time being an expert in any one area because they treat so many different conditions like MS, stroke, epilepsy and more. On the other hand, a migraine specialist is THE expert who is board certified in headache medicine. So the bottom line is all neurologists are not migraine specialists and all migraine specialists are not neurologists. Here is information on how these two types of doctors are different; https://migraine.com/blog/looking-for-a-migraine-specialist/. If you want to look for one here is that information too; http://migraine.com/blog/how-are-migraine-specialists-different/.

Nancy