This has helped. Science behind it according to book…

I am the mother of a 16 year old girl who developed daily chronic migraine last spring. They started probably 6-9 months prior as milder and intermittent (1-2 per week for few hours). The severity, duration and frequency all increased in lock-step with brand new and expanding food allergies, which gave her an itchy mouth only at first, and then later hives. Birch pollen allergy cross reactant foods according to allergist. All tree fruits, almonds, cilantro, kiwi, amongst other items. We wound up with epi pen.

Back to headaches…neurologist prescribed Elavil, 25MG. That did control most of headaches, occasional break through events of milder pain. She didn’t like the Elavil. Very modest weight gain, but more the inability to take it off regardless of diet or exercise.

We did various food elimination trials. Eliminated gluten, this improved things, but not perfect. We are uncertain about eggs, sometimes seems trigger sometimes not.

But here is what we think did help…Coconut Oil. I read book called Migraine Miracle, by neurologist who is also migraineur. He discussed research on ketogenic diet and it’s impact on kids with epilepsy, which is also disorder with “hyper-sensitive” brain. My daughter does basically eat paleo, minus eggs (mostly), no sugar, no grains. But adding the coconut oil made a difference. The book says that you need to get to very low carb to get your body into ketosis, to generate the ketones which they know cross the blood-brain barrier and seem to soothe the brain. BUT you can get your body to generate ketones, without getting and staying completely in a ketogenic state. Your liver metabolizes medium chain fatty acids into ketones, period. always. Coconut oil excellent source of MCFA (or MCT they say sometimes). Not so for EFA’s like fish oil, which is still good for you to reduce inflammation in general in the body.

She also takes 100MG of ubiquinol form of Co-Q10, morning and night. Also 400MG of Riboflavin, a highly bioavailable form obtainable from seeking health, and the naturalpath doc who does all the work on MTFHR genes. And 400mg of magnesium 2x a day. And coconut oil. We were doing a smoothy as recommended in the book, 1 cup of full fat coconut milk (look for organic and without guar gum stabilizer/Amazon), 1/2 banana, scoop your favorite protein powder, some ice. And also you can buy “Bulletproof MCT oil”, which contains coconut oil which is liquid at room temp, and Whole Foods carries it too, add tablespoon to your morning coffee. Or buy coconut oil capsules and take 2 morning and 2 night.

We are big believers in the coconut oil.

We also saw a PT specialist a while back who specialized in sacral-cranial stuff. She was amazing. The key thing we learned was how bad a “head-forward” posture is in triggering headaches. If you imagine a drop of water dripping off your chin, where would it land? Trace it down. If the answer is your big toe or in front of that spot on the floor you have head forward posture. Focus on bringing your head and chin back towards shoulders, you want that drop of water to hit your sternum. All these hand held devices and laptops train us head-forward and looking down. Bad. She also did dry needling. That helped relieve some muscle knots. Totally weird trick she taught her which at first I thought was crazy…if you get headache, Step 1: focus on realigning head away from “head forward” (focus, you should notice that with head forward your jaw is closed and teeth touching…when you retract your head back towards shoulders you should notice that automatically your lower jaw drops just slightly open, this releases tension in jaw). Step 2: take the tip of your tongue and attempt to stick it onto the surface of your furthest rear molar on your upper jaw on one side of your mouth. Hold that few seconds. Move that to other side of jaw, again touch tongue to upper rear molar. See if you do not feel tension release.

We also started allergy shots for the birch pollen 4 months ago. And we did a whole bunch of very high quality probiotics and glutamine, to help heal the gut because I suspected the food allergy probably happened at least partially due to some gut permeability…proteins getting in blood causing allergy and inflammation. She ate an apple last week, with no itchy mouth, no hives, no closing throat. (she did this without mom’s approval at school…teenagers!) Had prior not been able to eat a tree fruit without a reaction and the reactions were escalating.

Hope this info helps someone, I think the ketones/coconut thing was key for her.

Weird coincidence…both my daughter, and my friend’s daughter (who is an identical twin and her sister does not have migraine) who suffers chronic migraine, both of them also had prior to onset of migraine motion sickness in cars for several years. Anyone else?

Comments

• zeecitizen
    2 weeks ago

Hello, did the coconut oil heal your daughter’s migraine to a zero? Or it helps reduce the migraine.

Would you say coconut oil is a cure?

Yes, nearly all migrainers i know had motion sickness in cars / high speed trains.

• Rachel

I understand what she is going through. If you have serious problems with high school, talk to her administration. I was ill enough to switch to online schooling at 17, but my school allowed me to stay in my elective class (choir for me). It was a good way to stay involved with my high school, and keep some friends. It can be lonely when nobody understands what you’re going through, and you spend your life in a dark room fighting your own body.
    Secondly, as a daughter with a concerned mother as well, thank you for advocating for your daughter. I do however know that I fake my way through a lot of pain, so just be aware of what your daughter may not be telling you because she wants to feel better even if she doesn’t. I want to be normal, and stop burdening others with my illness, so I pretend I am okay. I also know that I had a lot of pressure put on me to suck it up, and manage normally at first, but we really need to listen to our bodies and rest when needed. Just be aware of how she acts when she’s hurting, even if she doesn’t say so.

• Deborah J.

Thanks for all this information. It is very helpful. I think it is helpful to remember that different approaches work for different people. My brother in law who was having 3 migraines a week, finally went to a neurologist who specialized in migraines and was told to try an herb first. It is working for him. I know when I was first diagnosed, I was on FMLA and had a very small window to come up with something by a neurologist so I could get back to work. It was very stressful and I was afraid I was going to lose my job. My work was not supportive. I went on prevention meds. Now I’m married, in a situation which is not as stressful and have more options now to try other strategies with my migraines.

• Katie M. Golden moderator

Maddy,
    You are incredibly knowledgeable about what your daughter is going through. You are a great advocate for her. I’m sure she’s tired of going to every doctor under the sun, but you’ve found some important info such as her allergies. Knowing and understanding her triggers is a huge key in managing her Migraines.

If you ever run into issues with her schooling because she’s missing too many days, I suggest read the 3 articles below. There are many accommodations that can be made for her.

Best Wishes!
    -Katie
    Migraine.com Moderator

• Anne

I think it’s wonderful what a concerned mother you are. She’s very lucky to have a mom that’s trying so hard to help. I can share my experience – she may not be telling you about how much she’s hurting or she may pretend things are working that aren’t. I know for me, migraine is for life – I can have less migraines or more migraines or a period of time with migraines that just feel like headaches without all the other symptoms, but there’s no migraine cure. It’s important for me to not be pressured to get better. Of course, I am constantly trying new medicines, diets, etc. but I sometimes feel a lot of pressure to get better. Knowing that migraines can be managed but not cured (yet) helps me to make my life more manageable and less depressed.

• Maddy author

thanks Anne. I appreciate your caution, and I try not to press. it was her desire to come off the med, and she did it faster without much of a taper than I would have wanted. i’d like to think I can see her headaches, sometimes you could see it sweep over her face. she has never had aura or nausea or light sensitivity. my brother had migraines as a teen from a childhood brain swelling, after ten years they just ended. I know of several people who experienced a kind of reset after 6+ months on a med then weaning off, and they did not have recurrence. and I know my aunt had a fall from a horse at 21 and at 60 still has migraines after the seizures she had from that event…several times a week. a woman I work with has suffered since teens, exhausted all.meds and only finds relief with botox, and that is not perfect.
    they are learing more and more. and I think the field of genetic research will bring gains. the CRISPR-CAS9 gene editing technology is amazing, in 3 years they have come so far. in 5 more years they will be doing things in humans. so encourage all migraine sufferers to do 23andme and tag themselves with migraine as known condition and opt in for research. they have to ID the genes before they can edit them…