Just starting this horrible process…

I just turned 24 in July. My first migraine was in June. I freaked out the first day I had it.

It scared me, and I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I couldn’t make a sentence- couldn’t comprehend anything. Bad thing was- I was at work when it happened. I’ve been very emotional, and I have been hurting the people closest to me.

I’m hoping some of you who know what it’s like can shed some light on tips or even support. I am just now beginning to see a neuro (jerk) who basically thinks I am rude, and can’t see that his meds aren’t helping. I am also starting to see if any type of exercise will help.

If you have any tips that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• katebenson

Again, sorry you have to be in this club. Right now, I am filing a complaint against pharmacist who won’t fill my prescription for generic, non-narcotic medication AS WRITTEN by my neurologist… Sigh

• kadease24

Sorry to welcome you to this living prison we call the migraine club, but the best advice I can offer you is just be you. I am an incredibly competitive person, so each day I fight my migraines I look at it like a competition if I lash out or don’t act like myself then the migraine wins, and I’m not about to let that happen. No matter what just be you, and don’t let the migraine win. I know that is easier said than done, but it is how I get through every painful day. Good luck to you.

• Debra Mclane

Hi Jules – So sorry you have to join the migraine club…I have had chronic migraine for about a year now so I’m not a very old member here either. But there is some great info you will find on this site. I see a Headache Specialist and I wanted to comment on how he manages me relative to your exercise question. He insists I do 4-5 days a week of cardio exercise. At first I thought he had lost his mind, but after watching my headache calendar vs. the months I do the exercise and the months I have slacked off, I will tell you that the cardio helps to reduce the Severity of my headaches. Obviously you will have to find what works for you, but I do my best to stick to the 4-5 days of cardio as it has been proven to me to help. I even try to go work out on days I have a headache as I have a prescription for Indomethacin I take to help reduce the workout making the headache worse. I was lucky to find a good Specialist quickly, hopefully you can also..

• Nola

Poor baby. It’s not a happy club to belong to. Like others here, I’ve had migraines for several decades. I’ve run into my share of idiot doctors, but fortunately not too many. Every migraineur is different. Your treatment protocol will not be the same as another person’s. However, in general, there are a couple of things you can do to improve your life. Get yourself a comfortable ice bag. I picked up a couple of long, narrow ones with a clip closure on the end – much better than those blue round bags with the clunky screw cap that leaks half the time. Ice, applied to your head in a dark, quiet room does help a little. I get a massage once a week. Most massage therapy is pretty expensive. I found a massage school where the interns have to do so many hours of practice after training and before they get their license. It’s been a godsend. Instead of the going rate in my area of $60-$80 per hour, I can get an hour there for $20. Soooo worth it! Also, I, like many migraineurs, tighten up with fighting the pain. Ask your physician about a mild muscle relaxant you can take. Some people use Valerian root extract (available in capsules at every drug store). As you tighten your neck and shoulders fighting the pain, you are actually INCREASING the pain level. Getting good sleep is vitally important.

• Helen Williams Lopez

I have had migraines about 50 years (I am 61). I started having aphasia with migraines when I was in my 20’s. I will say that if you are taking hormones, birth control, etc this may contribute to the severity of your migraines. The headaches and the assorted symptoms that accompany the headaches never get easier. I have learned to cope and which meds work best for me. I might also suggest getting a medic alert bracelet. I have been taken by ambulance to the ER 2X’s because I was unable to tell someone “I am just getting a migraine”. Good luck with your Dr’s and treatment options. 🙂

• Gail Cannon

Hi Jules, Sorry for the migraines. I have had them for 25 years now. This site has been soooooo helpful. I agree with seeking a migraine specialist. Also you asked about exercise. I find yoga very helpful. Not hot yoga, more of a gentle or moderate flowing class that focuses on breathing can ease or take away a migraine for me. Also, I use acupuncture to help with the pain and manage the frequency of episodes
    Gail

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi jules,

Welcome to the site and let me see what I can do to help you out! Knowing that we aren’t alone in migraine makes a world of difference.

We have great information on migraine in this article called the Seven Essentials of Migraine; http://migraine.com/blog/migraine-management-essentials/.

You may want to investigate the expertise of a migraine specialist rather than a neurologist. Neurologists may be fine doctors but have a hard time being experts in any one area because they treat so many different conditions like MS, stroke, epilepsy and others. Migraine specialists are just that, experts who treat one condition all day, every day – migraine and headache disorders. Let me give you some information on how migraine specialists are different; http://migraine.com/blog/how-are-migraine-specialists-different/. To help you find a migraine specialist, take a look at this link; https://migraine.com/blog/looking-for-a-migraine-specialist/.

Let me know what you think, OK?

Nancy

• Cristin

I understand what your going through. My first migraine was a year ago and each time I get one, I feel like, they get worse and worse. I seems like there’s no end in sight. What that first pain comes on, I want to start crying right away, because I know I’ll be on my couch with all the lights off for 24 hours or so.
    🙁

I just signed up on the site, so we’ll stick together when it comes to new information 🙂

• AmyBabee

My dear, sorry about your pain; here we all understand and as a ‘newbie migraineur’, welcome to the club :). Join the Forum, Community and read all the stories and bloggers like Ellen, Kerrie Smyres, Migraine Girl, and a whole lot of other contributors. You will not lack information on this site, I guarrantee you. You are in the right place and among fellow ‘survivors’. You will also meet a few more “neuro-jerks” in the future so dont be alarmed on your first one. We all met some at one time or the other until you meet that wonderful ‘one’ that will help make your pain a little less bearable. God bless you.