I might lose my job because I have no control

It started around when I was 19, I had no idea what a migraine felt before. I still have no clue as to what triggers it. My doctor tried having me use a type of medicine that stomps it out before it gets worse, but that didn’t work. Now I’ve tried a medicine that makes me really sleepy. The dose they gave me will make me feel like I need to sleep for 10 hours, so they gave me a pill splitter, but then it stopped helping me when I turned down the dose. I’ve got a cat scan of my head, but the doctors says they see nothing wrong.

Now I work for a manager that has no sympathy for my migraines and I suspect she’s trying to find any excuse to fire me. I make sure that the establishment is clean and I initial every task she asks me to do, there has never been a time where I turned down to cover a shift for all of her own medical issues or even family related issues (I even covered a Saturday shift so she can clean her house). So far I’ve only asked 3 times within a year if I could stay home and apparently that’s “out of control”. Now she’s been telling other employees lies like I’m breaking things or even stealing. 🙁

Today I asked the manager above her if I can stay out of work today to go to urgent care. Now I’m sitting here applying for other jobs because I can’t imagine the backlash I’m going to get when I come into work tomorrow.

Comments

• southsidegirl66
    1 year ago

I was able to apply for SSI benefits. I really hope they can find out what’s causing them for your health. I too have no idea what triggered these horrible headache s 🙁 good luck

• southsidegirl66
    1 year ago

Hello, I really feel for you. My story is very similar to yours. Mine started around 16 and like you I had no clue what the pain was. I didn’t have anymore until 22, then nothing again for many years. In 2005 I was diagnosed with the migraine by an er Dr. Cat scan and spinal tap showed nothing. In 2014 I was diagnosed with Status Migrainous. I lost my job and haven’t been able to work. Fortunately I was able to

• Purplelady63
    1 year ago

I am sorry to hear that your boss has little to no compassion. I can relate, I was working for a medical group and the treatment from them when I got sick with my migraines was shocking, you would think a medical group would have a little more compassion and common sense about a medical problem. I do not know the size of the company you work for but defiantly check out Short term and long term FMLA. They will not like it but it may give you some time to get the migraines under control. I do not believe it is legal to fire you because your sick, the problem will be her accusations of stealing etc. She is setting the stage to fire you for other reasons, I know this because I was a Director of Nursing for many years and some of the suggestions we were given sound just like what she is doing. I have a more moral foundation than others and would not do what they wanted me to. So document your day, what she does and says to you, if you need to take her to human resources to have a conversation then do that. If this job is something you really want to stay in you will have to be on your toes with this supervisor, only confromt her actions to you infront of the HR representaive, she will quickly get idea that you will not accept her bad behavior by making up accutations of misconduct by you, this is your control over the sitution. If this job is not worth the fight then start looking, I am sorry there are so many people that have no compassion or understanding for anyone but themselves. You are in my prayers.

• tlocker
    1 year ago

If you are in the US, consider filing FMLA if your company and position qualify: https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/understanding-migraine/fmla-for-migraine/

• ELb13
    1 year ago

Hi Greentea I feel your pain quite literally :-(…have you sussed out what GMO’s and preservatives etc that especially trigger your attacks? This has been key to me limiting my migraines. Check out Tony Pantalleresco’s Youtube or Mike Adams for naturopathic advice on what additives are likely to trigger attacks. Also I would research nano particles and which foods contain nano junk in them….avoiding these has helped me heaps!!! I am not recommending anything as I am not a doctor but it worked for me, so check your local government/ country government rules for GMOs and nano foods…all the best from Australia Em

• kateymac
    1 year ago

IS THIS TREATMENT LEGAL?
    That second reply, below, makes me wonder: IS there any short-term disability offered where you work? If so, are you eligible for it?

I also wonder about discrimination laws where you live. I’m not well informed on this, myself, but I have to wonder if it’s even LEGAL for her to fire you for illness.

It doesn’t sound like you’ll ever make her happy, so I think you were right to go over her head for a sick day. You might do the same to get info on the legalities around having your job threatened for being ill. Many areas also have some public services to hook you up with affordable legal advice.
    I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Your boss’s behavior is unconscionable. This illness, when it hits, is like being blown off your feet. That’s enough to deal with. I hope you find some help and/or a more reasonable job, soon. Hang in there and take care of yourself as well as possible.

• Allyson.Ellis moderator
    1 year ago

What a miserable situation to find yourself in, greentea. It is so hard to work for non-sufferers who have not educated themselves on the nature of migraine. I hope you are able to find the right setting for you to work and not feel judged for this disease over which you have no control. I’m sorry you have not found a treatment that offers you consistent relief. Thank you so much for sharing your story with the community! We are always here to listen and offer support when needed. ~Allyson (Migraine.com team)

• choklityum
    1 year ago

That’s total BS. Three times in a year??? I do that in a month. But right now, it appears I’m headed for at least short-term disability for my migraines. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!