Migraine Free For Over 3 Years Until Now!

I’ve suffered with Migraines since I was 18 years old, I am now 46 years old. Over the years I’ve gradually managed to work out my triggers and had been Migraine free for 3 years and 5 months! until this month, I have now had three since 1st May and really need some help as to what is causing them. I have made some dietary changes to help with IBS / constipation and wondered if any of the things I have changed have started my Migraine attacks again or whether it is a complete coincidence? I don’t know what to stop doing to try and eliminate the cause.

Comments

• Anne
    5 months ago

Could be hormones – men have hormone fluctuations, too. I’m excited that you had such a long period of being migraine free! It gives the rest of us hope

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator
    8 months ago

Hi ChrisF,

Thank you for sharing your success with us! That’s terrific.

I am sorry May started out so poorly. The thing about migraine attack triggers and patterns is they can change over time – talk about frustrating!! I wonder if keeping a detailed migraine diary for a few months would help see what other triggers you may have?

Those of us with migraine disease seem to need a regular routine. A routine sleeping and eating schedule, little or no stress (I’ve not been able to figure that one out) staying hydrated and not skipping meals are all very important to keep us on an even keel. When out routine is disrupted, a migraine attack may occur. I wonder if the dietary changes you’ve made are making an impact on your migraine attacks.

Fluctuating hormones can also play a role in migraine attack frequency and severity. I’d like to share our section on women and migraine I hope helps;

Let me know what you think!
    Nancy

• ChrisF author
    7 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post Nancy I really appreciate that, I am going to have to keep a detailed diary to try and work out the trigger as I am unable to put my finger on the cause at the moment. I am male so don’t experience fluctuating hormones or the menstrual cycle.

Thanks again.

Chris

• leah324
    8 months ago

I’m new here, but I’m gluten intolerant and yesterday I had a migraine at 4am. Had to call in sick at work. I hadn’t followed my gluten-free diet lately and believe that’s what caused my migraine. Maybe a gluten-free diet will help with your migraines and IBS?

• ChrisF author
    7 months ago

Thank you Leah 🙂 I am pretty sure I am ok with gluten but i’ll bare that in mind. I hope you manage to control your Migraines and feel better soon.

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator
    7 months ago

Hi leah324,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I’m sorry to hear you are seeing an uptick in migraine attack frequency.

When I avoid gluten, I seem to do better as well. It seems a little gluten is OK for me, but when I go overboard, a migraine attack will ensue. 🙁

Hang in there,