“Its like having a major trauma”

I began suffering with migraines about 8 years ago, out of the blue! I was at work one day and started to feel very strange, i remember thinking, oh god i need to lie down, i just felt terrible. It was a particularly stressful time of my life and I was under immense pressure at the time.

It took two days to go and I thought i had had some horrible bug, until it happenend again and again, eventually i spoke to a friend and she suggested I was having migraines, her sister suffered with them and my symptoms were very similar, infact I was so ill with one particular episode her sister gave me one of her pills and it really helped, so i knew then that it was indeed migraines.

Since then they have got progressivley worse and at times been very frequent, i find factors like stress in particular bring them on, but over the years more and more things trigger them. I have been hospitalised once and been unable to leave my bed many times, after they have cleared it sometimes takes days to feel normal, its like having a major trauma, often getting over one and another appears! I manage them better now and try really hard to avoid stress, although this isnt easy. I eat reularly and avoid caffeine and red wine, but sometimes a certain smell may trigger a migraine so you can never really get away from the threat of the next attack.

Deep Joy… Its comforting to read others stories just to know that other people will understand because so often in every day life people just dont get it – my mother typically says ‘ oh you have got another headache’; I wish!!!!

Comments

• Linda Edelstein

If it weren’t for my daughter and an amazing doctor who helped me through the worst of it I would have committed suicide.

• Anne-Marie Allen

One migraine at a Level 8-10 can take sometime take days to recover from and if another appears during that time, well then the cycle continues for a week or more. Thanks so very much for telling your story…it really does help to know that I am not alone and that there are many others who understand and have REAL empathy. God Bless ;-).

• Lucy Tucker

Thank you ladies great to know I am not alone (sorry and wish I was talking about a lottery win not a migraine…..) yes, sadly major trauma is the only word that fits these horrible episodes, I was thirty 35 when I had my first attack. So luckier that some who have suffered their whole lives; its so debilitating……

• Georgia Slesinger

IT IS like a major trauma. I am weak and shaky for days after a severe migraine just from what my body has gone through. It is good to know others who understand:)

• Heather Brogan

I have had migraines since I was a child ~ Lately I have been getting them very frequently – stressed related I think. “Major Trauma ” is VERY accurate! Glad it’s not just me (sorry)

• Linda Castellano

Major Trauma—perfect name for our attacks, I was just wondering how old you were when you had your first attack? But I am very happy to hear you some what have your migraines a bit under control-From one sufferer to another feel good and keep us updated!

• Faith Hunter Welborn

wow! so helpful-and makes you feel better for those who actually understand this nightmare!