Slamming pain too often

I can remember as early as 9 years old having terrible headaches. My mom would come and pick me up at school because I would be crying in horrible pain. She would take me home and I would go to bed and sleep for hours. She was so negative about me always being sick (as she called it). My teachers complained that I was faking just trying to get out of coming to school. I could not get anyone to listen to me. My parents took me to the dr over and over again.

The doctor would do new tests each time I would go and claim that there was no way I was in that much pain. I was just to young. I felt horrible. I was so young and did not understand why no believed that i was hurting. The older I got, the worse it got. Still with no relief. By the time I was in my late thirties I finally got a Doctor to help me out. They sent me to a neurologist that specialized in migraines. I was diagnosed with chronic migraines. It is a constant battle just to work, deal with my family and survive on a daily basis. I am doing botox injections now as a way to help me. I have had my first round and hoping for relief.

Comments

• railroadbill

Been there. I would get headaches at six- nine, I would bang my head against the wall trying to make them go away, they did for a while if I was taking codeine. The stop in my early 20’s for the most part, but came back in my late 30’s and are here today at 58 except for the last 3 weeks. My Neurologist also has migraines, he will not give me botox, do to the side effects and I have had bad reaction with many meds, hospitalized 3 times because of reactions. I take Dilaudid as it is the only drug that works I do have adverse reaction to it and many drugs. Dilaudid keeps me awake 3 weeks ago between the pain and the meds I did not get any real sleep for 5 days and start to hallucinate(this has happened before)I was hallucinating for about three day most of them were fun at the end I can not say the migraines are over but I have been able to reduce the drugs by 25-35%, like I said it has happened before but this is the longest they have been at bay. Just keep on keeping on. Good luck

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi Railroad Bill,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. May I suggest it may be time to see a true migraine specialist. Migraine specialists are board certified in headache medicine and treat people with migraine and headache disorders all day, every day.

Neurologists on the other hand may have a hard time being experts in one area because they treat so many different conditions such as MS, epilepsy, stroke and others. Let me share with you what is special about these doctors; http://migraine.com/blog/how-are-migraine-specialists-different/ and when you want to look for one here is information on how to do that: https://migraine.com/blog/looking-for-a-migraine-specialist/.

I’m sorry to say dilaudid and other pain relievers are not the best solution for migraine pain. This is because opioids mask migraine pain, they don’t stop the migraine process which is a key component in migraine management. Let me share this information with you; http://migraine.com/blog/the-confusion-about-codeineopioids-and-migraine/.

I hope this helps,
    Nancy

• Jamie Valley-Vasquez

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I too have had migraines since I was 9. I remember the first time due to the severity of pain, the vomiting, and then the passing out. As I have gotten older (39 now) they have increased in the amount I get, which is anywhere from 1 to 3 a week, the amount of time they last, which is sometimes hours or days, and the severity of them. I now will have seizures and black out. I ended up losing my job and applying for disability benefits which after three years was approved for. I was diagnosed with chronic sever migraines with epileptic seizures. I take a number of medications and while they tend to work more for the “everyday” headaches they don’t really do anything as far as stopping/decreasing my migraines. Right now the hardest part is feeling as though I have no purpose. My life is spent in darkness and seclusion. I miss working. I have never been able to make plans with my kids, family, or friends because I never know when I will have to disappoint them again. I hope that you get better! Thank you again.

• windyj2308 author

I will gladly keep everyone updated on the Botox. I haven’t noticed a reduction in the number I have yet. Something I have noticed is when I do have them I can get rid of them much quicker. The dr. Told me I might not see great improvements until after the second round… Still hopeful!

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi windyj2308,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It’s always good to hear what members are doing.

Botox is FDA approved for migraine prevention and we have some information on it in this link; http://migraine.com/blog/botox-approval-for-chronic-migraine-what-does-this-mean/.

Keep us posted on how Botox is working for you, OK?

Nancy

• Cathy Ferguson

I can relate as I too have battled not only with nearly lifelong agonizing headaches and migraines but also with the patronizing and disbelieving medical profession and even family members who presume that these excruciating attacks are fake and merely attention seeking ploys.

I am getting ready to have my first botox injections the end of September as all other medications have failed to produce relief and now there is an added side effect of the migraines of possible seizure activity as well due to the flashing lights and strobes that are prevalent.

I was hoping that someone out there who has had the botox might offer some sort of indication as to whether this is a realistic hope for those of us suffering or is it just another disappointment in a long string of disappointments? I am at the point now where I may need to go out on disability due to the inability to hold a full time or even part time job b/c of the migraines. I cannot drive without having issues related to migraine and potential seizure activity due to strobes on school buses/emergency vehicles as well as on countless signs and now even all over the television. If that weren’t enough, even advil and other so-called experts also use powerpoint like effects that produce similar dangerous side effects. It’s almost pointless to get up anymore.

• windyj2308 author

Railroad Bill thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Thankfully I have a very loving husband that takes care of me. I also have a special needs son that is 22 years old that takes care of me when I need him to. I take care of my grandson which is only three years old so this makes it tough sometimes to keep going. I do have a dog but he stays outside. He is a pit bull and a little big to be an inside dog. Botox is helping with the intensity of my headaches. Thanks again for your advice. Hope you are pain free today

• railroadbill

Hey sister none of that talk I do not know if you are alone if you are get a dog or a cat, they give love and do not try to analyze you. It also gives you a reason to get up to feed them and walk them I know I have been were you are sometimes hoping you just never wake up. But any more than that and you wind up hurting to many people. I also found that I sleep much better with a critter by my side.One day at a time like an alcoholic in reverse. Hang in there I can not give you a good reason but just due someday it will be better

• windyj2308 author

Good luck with Botox injections. It is not that painful. I was very tired for a few days after the injections. Hope you have great results

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Chronic migraine and chronic pain of any kind is exhausting. And yes, Botox does work for people. In fact you can read about Teri’s experience in this link; http://migraine.com/blog/botox-chronic-migraine-experience/.

A woman in my local support group gets Botox injections every three months which have helped her tremendously. She does however, continue to be diligent about avoiding her migraine triggers.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Nancy