I wrote a poem about my migraine headaches

You can find it here: http://www.powerpoetry.org/poems/living-rules-aint-easy-it-seems

I’m 18 and about to go to college, so I entered this scholarship slam at power poetry and wrote about how migraines have impacted my life. It was a unique opportunity to express myself while talking about something I believe in. Like many of you, migraine headaches make it difficult to do a lot of the things I wish I could do like my peers can. Many of them take it for granted. I stay inside most of the time to prevent my headaches, because if I go out I know I will have a bad day. I hope I find the right treatment…

I just went to my first neurologist appointment today, and I’m very excited to be moving forward with new options. The doctors I had made it seem like I already tried everything there is.

Comments

• Carrie

Hi Olivia – thanks for sharing this great poem! You captured just how I feel – but said it so much better than I ever could 🙂 I’m excited for you that you’re seeing a good doctor. Good luck with your migraine journey, and keep up the poetry!

• Jules2dl

Olivia;
    Your poem brought me to tears. I so remember how it was dealing with migraines at your age. Even now, at 55, so much of what you wrote holds true.
    Also, my daughter was a slam poet for several years, and though she no longer writes in that genre, she just had her 5th book of poetry published. Keep at it, you have talent!!
    So many advances have been made and are forthcoming in the treatment of migraines that its a good time to be a young migraineur (if you have to be one at all). Back when I was a kid and started getting migraines, I was told by my doctor that “little girls don’t get headaches”.
    I wish you the best in your search for a cure, and hope to be buying one of your books on Amazon one day!

• oliviaruth author

This is actually my first slam poem. 🙂 I’ve been writing free form poetry since elementary/middle school and it was fun to write, hard too because of the illness itself. Though I’m not great at voicing my poems, I love to write them and maybe I’ll accompany them with art.

I’m sorry you had to deal with naysayers. They can’t tell you how you’re feeling. Even now I’m being told I’ll “grow out of it” when I know there are people like you who didn’t, but luckily there are really good doctors who want to find the best treatment.

• Katie M. Golden moderator

Olivia,
    Your poem was beautiful! I can tell you are a strong person who is determined to find answers and to live as full life as possible despite your illness. Keep fighting and keep writing!

-Katie

• Tammy Rome

Nicely done! The pain in our heads often brings out our creative side, doesn’t it? I’m happy to hear that you are going to a neurologist. However, if the neuro thinks you’ve tried “everything”, maybe you need to keep looking? Not all neurologists are headache specialists. Sometimes a headache specialist isn’t a neurologist at all. Take a look at this article (http://migraine.com/blog/how-are-migraine-specialists-different/). It explains what a headache specialist is and why they are so important to getting good treatment results. Keep searching – you will find the right answers!

Tammy

• oliviaruth author

Actually this neurologist is very optimistic about treating me and is giving me lots of different options. It was the doctors I had before that were so puzzled and thought I had tried everything. Thanks for taking the time to read what I wrote, it means a lot!