caret icon Back to all discussions

In search of a new doctor

I've been having migraines for 14 years due to a concussion. I saw that there was an article on how find a good neurologist. I've been with my neurologist since I was 14 and it's time for a new one. My question is: should I get a new neurologist or get a concussion specialist? I've been at a crossroads about it for weeks. Traditionally, I know that people with migraines have a neurologist but with me having chronic daily migraines due to a concussion might require a specialist. Any advice would be appreciated.

  1. This is a great question. Ultimately, it would be ideal if you could find a migraine specialist who has experience in concussion or even TBI. I know they exist as I see one in NC. It may take you a bit to find this cross subspeciality but it would likely be worth it to ensure your treatment is as effective as possible. That said, many people with migraine have their condition due to concussion- so my guess is that a migraine specialist (vs. a neurologist) would be a good place to start. These are doctors specifically trained in migraine (and therefore, I assume - are trained in concussion-based migraine). TBI is another specialty and as I said, there are those migraine specialists out there with that extra training. So, yes, I'd recommend you start by looking for a migraine specialist. When you call or research the practice- ask if they are knowledgeable about concussion specifically. Hope this helps. Warmly- Holly team.

    1. thank you the advice Holly. I'll use this info for my search

    2. Here are a few links that may help you find a migraine specialist: And:
      Let us know if we can help in any other way. Thinking of you- Holly ( team).

Please read our rules before posting.