Are CGRPs Right for Me?
Last updated: February 2023
With the flurry of information surrounding the CGRPs for migraine, it can be tricky to keep up. We've created a downloadable list of questions you can ask your doctor to see if you're a good candidate for CGRP gepants (acute treatment) or CGRP monoclonal antibodies (preventive treatment).
What should you ask about CGRPs for migraine?
- Which treatment do you think I should try first & why?
- What dosing option (dose amount-m.g. and/or frequency) will be best for me & why?
- How soon can I expect to know whether or not the treatment is working and/or effective for me?
- How should I properly store the medication?
- Am I able to take other medications with CGRPs?
What should you ask about side effects?
- Will the injections be painful?
- Have you heard of any other side effects other than what has been reported during the clinical trials that I should be concerned about?
- If I experience any side effects from this medication, what should I do next?
What should you ask about the cost?
- Will my insurance cover it?
- What if I am denied? Can I appeal or are there any other options?
- Is this a “tiered” medication? Will I have to “fail” another treatment first before my insurance approves this
- If I’m not insured, can I get this medication?
- Are there any financial assistance programs available?
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Migraine.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
Do you have a migraine toolbox for when an attack hits?
Join the conversation