Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

15 Years Of Migraines

I was diagnosed at the age of 15 with Pseudo Cerebral Tumor by a local neurologist. I was put on 10mg of Elavil, and was sent on my way. 11 years later, I went through a time when my headaches were non existent, but they are back. Within that time span, I would go on and off the Elavil. I would stop having headaches and I would halt the medication.

I am 26 and the headaches are back…. I can tell when I am getting one about 80% of the time. But the other 20% are so ACUTE that its scary. Some are so acute that I will be driving home from work, and by the time I get home, my head is throbbing, I am having visual disturbances, nausea, intense throbbing in the center of my head, and a NEW symptom…. when I inhale through my nose, I have this bizarre smell of ammonia! I am averaging 2-3 migraines a month now.

Elavil is the gold standard for migraines, at least it was when I went to the neurologist (last visit 2003-2004?) And the WORSE part is… I am in the medical field!! When did I got so many years with these intense headaches, to go though a period of NONE, and now they are back!!


This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.


  • L.a. Lee
    8 years ago

    Omg! I, too, get an unpleasant smell that I could not smell anywhere else and I used to describe that smell as the smell of the insides of my head or brain. I realized that the aura I get is olfactory. That smell is sort of like ammonia. And I thought I was the only one. I’ve had migraines and/or cluster headaches since I was about 7 or 8. I get it 24/7, 365 days a year. I’m 37 now and I’m still plagued by these debilitating headaches.

  • Poll