Willing to Get My Heart Broken By a New Migraine Treatment

I’ve just tried Aimovig and it’s working well for me so far. Just two migraines in 12 days as compared to a migraine every other day. My good friend, who also suffers from migraines, cautioned me, saying she didn’t want to see me disappointed which got me to think how much the search for a new migraine treatment is like the search for true love.

Being optimistic about a preventative working is difficult. I’ve had good runs with other preventatives. Topamax looked like he could be the one, until he just ended up making me dizzy and I had to leave him. Nadolol seemed promising. At first, he cut my migraines down noticeably, but then he just quit on me. Yoga therapy was fun and flirty, but didn’t do much. Vitamins seemed like a great fit, but they did nothing. I always run to sleep because he helps, but he can’t shield me from the pain. My latest beau, Candesartan, really seemed like the one. He was there for me. But once summer hit, he flaked and my migraines came back in droves. Each time I thought this was it. I would finally be able to start living again. I would be able to make plans ahead of time. I would be able to go to concerts and picnic and move through life easily again with the fear that a migraine will swoop in and take everything from me. But each one left me brokenhearted.

Now, I’m with Aimovig. He seems promising. He’s the first preventative designed specifically for migraine prevention and looks great on paper. So far, he’s helped a lot with my migraines and I get to decide – do I put my heart out there and possibly be devastated if it doesn’t work. Or, could I be willing, to be willing to believe that this time. This drug. It might be the one.

I choose to be cheerfully optimistic. After all, I’ve had a lot of practise – I’m single in Los Angeles.

Comments

• nana55
    4 months ago

Your beau is two timing you with me. He is also got me “giggling like a school girl” -hopeful and giddy with promising results thus far! We have been together for 4 months and I have seen a good improvement in my migraines, I’d there is ever such a thing as good and migraine. I am still having daily migraines, but they are much less severe and I am taking alot less medication.I am also starting to be able to come out of my dark cool bedroom and spend time with family and friends. I really understand how you feel about being skeptical about Aimovig (or any medicine ) working for the long run, as I too have found medicines seem so promising in the beginning, only to disappoint a month or two later. I LOVE the boyfriend analogy, because it really does,feel like a new relationship, and hopeful love affair, every time I start a new medication. Thanks for your story!

• carolelynn
    4 months ago

Anne, did you get one injection or two? My neurologist told me to take 2 injections (one in each thigh) so a total of 140 mg. I asked him if I could just start with the 70 mg just to be careful, but he told me that he’s found that only using one syringe doesn’t work nearly as well.

I see him next week when I get my Botox shots. I’m going to ask if I could stop the Tomamax but continue with the Botox, since I feel just littlest bit of pressure in my head since the Botox has worn off.

Best of luck to everyone here, and I hope it works for you as it has for me.

• Anne author
    4 months ago

I did the two injections. Same thing – my neurologist suggested I do two because he’d seen better results with the two. Of course, my insurance is only trying to cover one shot 🙁

• carolelynn
    4 months ago

Yikes, excuse typos. I really am a terrible proofreader!

• carolelynn
    4 months ago

I just wanted to add that I was in the same shoes. I’ve had headaches since my 20’s. I’ve tried most meds out there to prevent my headaches but they only helped a little bit. I get Botox shots every 12 weeks from my neurologist but even those are starting to be less effective and never completely stopped my headaches.

I have an autoimmune condition that leaves me with problem GI system so I don’t like to take pills, except for Fioricet which seemed to be the only thing that worked. But I was taking them almost every day, sometimes 3 a day so I was wondering if some of the headaches were rebound.

Long story not so short, 3 weeks ago I took my first Aimovig injections. For the first time inYEARS I have not had a headache since. They say it’s supposed to only work for migraines and I always though my headaches were partially tension headaches, but I haven’t had a headache since the injections.

Best of luck. Hope we’ve finally found the answer for so many of us!

• Anne author
    4 months ago

yay!!!!

• 63ug
    4 months ago

This is so cute! My current love is topamax with occasional flirting with sexy fioricet. I am waiting for my matchmaker to arrange a meeting with aimovig. Too much paperwork. Be well!

• Anne author
    4 months ago

I hope you find Aimovig just as delightful as I have so far – only 3 migraines in 4 weeks! That’s incredible for me.

• Joanna Bodner moderator
    5 months ago

I must say that I absolutely love this analogy! Great comparison! It sure can be SO hard to remain “cheerfully optimistic” after getting your heartbroken time & time again, but we too are all hoping that this treatment is THE Mr./Mrs. Right for so many like yourself who have been waiting for the relief they deserve!! Do keep us posted on your progress if you can! Take good care. -Joanna (Migraine.com Team)