My Gallbladder was a trigger

I have had back to back Hemiplegic Migraines for a year now. I found out that one of the major triggers was my gallbladder. It took them almost a year to figure out that it had just stopped working. Now I have a small amount of liver damage and kidney problems.

Common Triggers
Management Essentials: Triggers
Alcohol
Caffeine
Exercise
MSG
Sleep Triggers (Part 1)
Weather Changes
From the Blog: Triggers

I am writing you to let you know that I am no longer having back to back migraines, since they took my gallbladder out. My ER doctor and Gastrointestinal Surgeon explained to me that due to the lack of function of my gallbladder this was causing my body to react and triggering my on going migraines.

Yes I still do have Hemiplegic Migraines, but now instead of having them 4 to 5 times a week I have now gone 12 days without one. I Want the public to know that foods, smells, sounds, and lack of sleep could only be the tip of what is causing your migraines to flare up. Ones digestive system is very important to look at. If your digestive system is not working properly this could have horrible affects on ones migraines.

Comments

• mammothman
    4 months ago

Hello,

Can you provide me some info with what tests were done for your gallbladder if they did these tests purely due to migraines? What was seen on the test to determine there was issues with the gallbladder?

Did the gallbladder look OK from x-ray/MRI/CT scans?

Can you also tell me who your doctor was and what city?

• zmax
    1 year ago

my gall bladder is not working at all. 0% shows hida scan , but no stones in ultra sound. Since the digestion issues started, i’m having migraine,dizziness along with burping and belching. Does the migraine,dizziness and imbalance goes away after removing the gallbladder ?

• akmom

A good friend had her gall bladder out three months ago and told me that her migraines had dramatically decreased. I was somewhat suspicious. Last week, I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery. I am beginning to see a connection! Since I got home from the hospital I have not had a bad migraine…I have had three “tiny ones” that went away easily….and now, three days with none at all! That is very unusual for me. I am a very happy girl right now!

• TiciaNiemi author

I am so happy for you Akmom!!!! I know how miserable it can be!!! One of my Neuro’s have told me that with any chronic issue there can be a extra trigger. I have chronic migraines along with Hemiplegic Migraines. With the complication of my Gall Bladder the Hemiplegic Migraines were heavily affected. Now I am making sure that all my body is healthy, just so my migraines stay in control. Keeping a schedule with what time I eat, sleep and exercise is also very important.

• Lisa Vizcaino Treaster

I had my first migraine the beginning of November. I had my gallbladder out Dec 31st. I think there is a connection!

• Debra Nemeth

Thank you. Something I have not thought about..but definitely applies…Thank you. I will let ya’ll know what’s next.

• Shanta Hardy

I have been having hemiplegic migraines since march. I have them 3-4 days straight They haven’t found anything to stop mine. Gall bladder, I don’t know if they looked at that. They have looked at everything else. Its taken over my life. I can hardly walk and have very severe left side weakness.

• Jackie Ferrara

My longest period of time between migraines was the time I was diagnosed with needing to remove my gallbladder and the time they removed it. It was about 12 weeks. I think it was because of the drastic change in my diet once I found out.

• Jules Skelton

Hi Jackie 🙂 I’m a tad late to the party lol do you remember what your diet change was?