Need some Help and Advice on Daily Headaches!

I am 35 and have suffered from Migraines since I was 22. I have been to every known Dr. UCLA, Mayo Clinic, Top neurologists, TMJ specialists, and went the Natural root. I have tried every diet, pretty much I have tried everything but I will never give up. I also suffer from mild anxiety and what came first the chicken or the egg I don’t know. Through the years I have been put on so many drugs for anxiety and headaches I can’t even count. Right now I am on Migrelief, Lamictal, Lexapro, High EPA of Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and Probiotics.

My migraines have not been awful but what has really plagued me is my daily headache. I can’t remember a day when I did not have a headache. Never gets better but will get worse day in and day out. None of the basic Advil, or anything like that works. The pain behind my eyes is the worst. It is even hard for me to look at people during a conversation. I get an Aura when I get a migraine. Once that goes away I get the headache. During my everyday headaches. When I close my eyes I can see a little bit of the Aura. Almost as if the migraine never goes away.

I am in so much pain so any thoughts would help.

I have never been on something like this but I just stumbled on this. Maybe people who have had these issues can help. Who knows! I have tried everything else.

Comments

• Anne

I’m so sorry. I’m having success with Dr. Charles Flippin at UCLA (since you mentioned UCLA) – he teaches on faculty as well so he’s up on the latest research. I’m on a preventative medication that’s actually working pretty well. But I went through everything looking for something to help – healers, acupuncture, herbs, vitamins, diets, medications, botox, yoga therapy – you name it, I’ve tried it. I also take several medications for anxiety, depression and OCD – these illness go hand in hand with migraine, so it’s not that unusual. A good neurologist will work with your psychiatrist to find a preventative that will work with your other medications. Don’t give up – there may be a preventative that works for you.

• Migraineroes

Are you taking magnesium citrate? Most people are 80% deficient. It’s the ‘Master mineral’ needed to reduce frequency of migraines, and keep our bodies functioning. Dr. Sircus discussed deficiencies (Symptoms: weakness, muscle cramps, nausea, anxiety, high blood pressure, fatigue, poor memory, confusion, etc.) in one of his books. http://www.greenmedinfo.com
    Do you know what your serotonin and melatonin levels are? Most migraine sufferers find out there pineal needs restoration. The Edge Effect by Dr. Eric Braverman has details on determining deficiencies as well as adding supplements to increase these plus changing your diet. An endocrinologist will help you test and achieve your optimum hormone levels that are most likely depleted.
    I realized the meds I was taking made my life very miserable and I couldn’t function. It took me years to get off meds.

• MelissaM

Hi,

I’ve had migraines for over 20 years and I also have daily headaches. I honestly have no idea what it is like to live without pain in my head. A headache free day sounds like a wonderful dream! For me the daily headaches become horrendous migraines.

I currently receive Botox injections every 3 months. In my case, they’ve helped keep the daily headaches from becoming worse and I only get severe migraines about twice a month. Other than that I take Sumatriptan and Amitriptyline. Excedrin works the best for daily headaches for me. Oddly enough Advil just makes them worse.

I’ve tried the Migrelief also. For me it just made them worse. I’ve discovered that a lot of the herbs that are supposed to help just make things worse. So I’ve pretty much avoided the natural route…unfortunately.

If you haven’t looked into Botox, you might want to see what you think. It might help especially with the aura part.

Just know you aren’t alone…at all!

• Deedeecap

Sounds like too many pills maybe giving you rebound headaches.

• CarolKyle

Hi,
    I just stumbled upon this sight while researching migraine surgery, which I’m considering. I know about that awful pain behind your eyes, it’s nauseating. I wasn’t clear if you’ve tried prescription Rx migraine meds, like Sumatriptan ? It stops my migraines within an hour if I take it right at the beginning of one. I am 60, and have had chronic migraines for 17 years now. I literally have tried most all preventatives meds, and many med you take when the headache actually comes on. I’ve tried botox, acupuncture, allergy meds and trying to eliminate trigger foods. I still get multiple migraines weekly. I’ve been following for the past 5 years the research on migraine surgery, which is called nerve decompression surgery. I’m a strong candidate for it . I’m going to try and link in a website for it, or you can google it yourself, there is a lot of success coming from those surgeries now, it’s been on several TV news shows and many articles about it. I even spoke via email to the surgeon who discovered his eye brow lift patients where coming back telling him his migraines went away. His name is Dr. Bahman Guyuron. Within the past month I had an appointment with a surgeon in San Francisco who preforms these surgeries also, and he’s tested me for trigger areas . Anyway, don’t give up, I know how frustrating the constant headaches are. This is my first time on any site, just reading a few of the stories here make me feel not so alone with these issues.

• MelissaM

Hi Carol,

If you do get the surgery I would love to hear how effective it is. Please let us know!

Melissa

• DonnaFA moderator

Hi trojanknight,

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that you’re not alone. Hopefully, some community members will weigh in. I also wanted to invite you to our Facebook page to join the conversation, if you have not already visited. -All Best, Donna (Migraine.com team)