Migraines are the party guest that won’t go home

I started getting migraines in college. Like the title implies, they have never left. Oh yes, they have fooled me into thinking they aren’t coming back. They always do and when they do, they are relentless and debilitating.

When I first started getting migraines in college, they were mind numbing. I wanted to believe that if I breathed right or calmed down they would go away. As people say, “Hind sight is everything!” After finally seeing a neurologist, keeping a headache diary, eliminating foods and drinks and carrying around my own personal pharmacy we finally figured out my migraines stemmed from two issues. First, I had female hormonal headaches. Second, I had weather related migraines.

Somehow, knowing causes helps me to believe that there can be a cure. That keeps me going. I want to share any good information I find because I know how awful migraines can be and how, unless you have them, people can not believe you would miss work, school or important engagements. My Dad still thinks I can just take a couple Tylenol and be done with it. I am now almost 50 and still trying to convince him that migraines warrant more ammo than popping a couple Tylenol.

I joined this community to encourage and be encouraged. Lets help each other! I appreciate each and every one of you!!

That’s my story 🙂

Comments

• Kostanca

I as well have Hormonal and Weather related migraines, along with all the other types. I am 38 and have spent my 9 last years of my life trying to find anything that works. I have trued to many therapies and some off them just drives me in depression but I am still here trying everything I heard or reading .Lately a year ago I started a Botox treatment for migraine and Mag 2 with Migrasoll tablets too . Wich in the beginning was a miracle for me but after three applications it doesn’t works .I did another one Injection this month and still waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel .I would love to know if you have any advice or information that you have found to be helpful.

Thank you for sharing your story. I feel your pain, you are not alone and you make me feel I am not alone too ❤️

• kdguthr

I got them in college and will be 50 next year…also mostly hormonal. Unfortunately, they got much worse when my body started peri-menopause. My average over the years is about 15/month, and that is with all the preventative meds like 400 mg Topomax, etc. Without meds, I really do get 30 migraines per month. It is unbearable. If you are wondering what happens when you take more than 9 sumatriptans or other triptans per month over a period of years…it’s mild brain damage. Wish to death there was something else to try that I haven’t tried, but I’ve been to several neurologists an they said I have tried everything there is. : 0 (

• cantseestraight author

15-30/month. that is so rough! My prayers are with you for sure. The preventatives seem to help my husband but just make me feel really slow and sluggish.

Have you tried a magnesium spray? I was using this for a while and ran out but it seemed to really help! I boil a cup of water and add 3/4 cup of magnesium flakes. Let it cool and then pour into a small glass spray bottle. I put on 3-4 sprays a day on inner arms or legs. I read that it is absorbed best via the skin. I have to start again because I have had migraines again lately and that seemed a good preventative. Also Coconut water has lots of magnesium. Just a thought 😉

• DonnaFA moderator

Hi cantseestraight! Thanks so much for sharing your kind words of support, experience, and suggestions. You’re part of what makes this such an amazing community 🙂 -Warmly, Donna (Migraine.com team)

• Chugach

I as well have both hormonal and weather related migraines, along with other types. I am 26 and have spent my life trying to find anything that works. I would love to know if you have any advice or information that you have found to be helpful.

Thank you for sharing your story. I feel your pain, you are not alone.

• cantseestraight author

Both are pretty awful, right?!
    As far as prescriptions go, Maxalt has been the best Triptan for me. The others make my head feel as though I have extra pressure on top of the pain.

For non Rx options, I like 2 cold therapy type things. The 1st is Biofreeze (or a drug store generic). I put this in my temples and forehead. Just make sure you do not get it anywhere near your eyes. The 2nd is Vicks Vapo Rub. Use the same as Biofreeze. A Good old fashioned ice pack helps too.