Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I’m a chronic migraine sufferer. I have had migraines since I was 19 years old, I’m now 49. In the beginning they averaged one every 3 months. They would last about 3 days. On the third day I would usually end up in the ER tired and crying for relief.

migraine_awareness04As the years went by my migraines increased to monthly than weekly and eventually in 2001 I was diagnosed with chronic migraine. I had regular spots on my way to and from work to pull over and vomit.

Over the years I’ve tried pretty much every medication offered. Imitrex and Phenergan often gave me relief along with a weekly IM shot of Toradol. Prior to 2006 I used antidepressants, Norco, soma and botox injections which really didn’t help. I also used Topamax which left me with lasting visual issues. I spent 21 days in the Michigan Head and Neurological Institute in 2007. I left there on 12 medications that left me feeling like a zombie.

In 2007 after 4 months in pain management I took myself off all the preventative meds and found a new Neurologist. She was ok with giving me Imitrex, Phenergan, IM Toradol and Esgic as rescue meds. This combo worked for years and then in 2012 I started feeling numbness on the right side of my head and arm. I also get a Charlie horse feeling from my right temple to my jaw with stabbing pain accompanied by the usual nausea, light and smell sensitivity. In January 2013 the numbness and pain came and refuses to leave.

In April I was admitted to the hospital for DHE treatments which did not help. Something (I think it was Depakote) caused my liver enzymes to spike into the 1000’s. After 4 days of DHE the hospital doctor discharged me with instructions to discontinue all meds except Esgic until my liver enzymes return to normal.

It has been a living hell waiting for my liver enzymes to return to normal. I’m back to being nauseous every day and I still have the constant numbness, pain, light and smell sensitivity. I’m scheduled to try botox again in June.

I started 2 new preventative meds last week that don’t seem to be helping but I know it could take months to see results.

I’m currently unable to work and even though my Neurologists says I’m unable to work my insurance company is trying to deny my short term disability claim which adds to the stress which is a migraine trigger for me. I’m so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have missed out on so much but thankfully my Family is understanding.

Comments

• Allyson

Hi, I just found this site and I can relate to being sick and tired of being sick and tired! I want to work and am frustrated that my triggers prevent me from being able to do so! Fluorescent lights, computer screens, brightness, loud noises, weather changes, heat, humidity, intense exercise, not enough sleep, too much sleep, hunger and some scents all trigger my migraines and I haven’t found that stay at home job that isn’t a scam yet! I’ve had these headaches since I was 26 and I’m 49 now and I’m sick of it. I guess I just wanted to say that I understand your frustration. Good luck.

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Hi miaabernathy,

No, you are not crazy nor are you alone! As you can see from Migraine.com we all understand and emphathize with each other. It is a great community.

Thanks for sharing with us.

• miaabernathy

Wow, your story is so familiar, I could have written most of that stuff myself. My migraines started at about 14 and I’m 42 now and they’ve progressed over the years until now I’m right on the borderline of having more migraine days than non. And on the days I don’t have one, I’m so tired and sluggish, I still can’t be my old self. It’s so discouraging. While I’m so blessed to have a supportive family, I know people are sick of hearing about my migraines because I’m sick of hearing myself speak of them.

I have always been able to keep up at work, but now I’m starting to have issues with missing time, running out of sick days, etc. Considering filing FMLA for this reason, even though I truly have no desire to do so. Also your comment about having a set place to stop on the way to work – You’re not alone in that one!

I guess I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your post. I loved your title, because I’ve said that myself so many times. This site has made me realize that I’m not crazy and certainly not alone. Hope you’re getting the same from it. Thanks for sharing and good luck!!

• slhart author

Update….
    My liver enzymes returned to normal and my recue meds were resumed on June 10th. I had the Botox on June 17th and I feel worse if that’s possible. I know these treatments can take months to work but I was so hoping for some relief. My short term disability did go through and now I’m waiting for an answer from long term. I find it hard to believe that the insurance company can disagree with my neurologist??
    When I get together with family and friends and they talk about our younger days I feel left out because my mind feels as if it has been erased. I cling to every memory as though it will be my last and what I do remember seems to come from viewing old photos. I think that is why I carry a camera everywhere I go. I now know where the phrase numb skull came from ha ha. I have enjoyed the daily postings in June. It gives me hope that someone cares and is working on a cure. I pray for all who have to suffer with this awful affliction.
    {{{HUGS}}}

• Nancy Harris Bonk moderator

Good to hear about your blood work coming back normal, and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that Botox kicks in very soon!

Please do continue to come back for support and understanding. Around here, we all “get it.”

• Caletta Carroll

What is DHE. I don’t think I have heard of this before.

• Ellen Schnakenberg

DHE is short for Dihydroergotamine. It is a Migraine abortive: https://migraine.com/migraine-treatment/dhe-45-for-migraine-headaches/

• Janet

I’ve read your story and shared it with family as I empathize with your every word. My story is a lot like yours. Migraines began at 20 yrs old…I’m 57 now and seemed to have traveled a lot do the same journeys as you. I, too, tried DHE exactly one year ago and it miserably failed leaving me with still current side effects. I’m almost tired of saying at least we are not alone…but without each other, we would stand alone. As much as others may think they can understand, I don’t think anyone can unless they’ve spent a day in our skin. As I pray for all who suffer from migraines…this hideous life interrupter …I pray for relief for you and strength to move forward when you don’t think you can. I do it for myself daily and know that God hears and some day that prayer can lead to a conquered disease.

Blessings
    Janet Jones

• Tisha Bratt

I read your story and just had to write a comment – I so feel for you … it sounds like you’ve been to hell and back and then some.

I really pray that someone, somewhere, comes up with a once and for all cure, or at least a guaranteed preventative measure for such a devastating and disabling condition.

I do hope that your insurance company changes it’s mind and then you’ll at least have one less stress to worry about.