So tired of being tired...

So tired of being tired…

One thing that any migrainuer can attest for is how much migraines can take out of us. Even with medication that works in a decent amount of time, you always leave the experience feeling so TIRED! Not just the “I’m sleepy” tired, but the level of exhausted you get after a marathon.

You get to the point where you just start to get sick of it, being this tired seemingly all of the time… I don’t know what causes it, but I assume it’s just a side effect of the intense pain. It makes me tense, it makes it hard to relax, and when it’s over I just feel so wiped out from the whole experience. People assume that when the pain and side effects are gone, the migraine is done and I should be back to normal, but what they don’t know is that I want to curl up in a bed just as badly as I did with the pain.

I don’t know who to talk to about this. It’s easy enough to describe and explain physical symptoms that are often used to diagnose migraines, but completely different to explain something that occurs as a side effect of the migraines, but I hate being tired. I’m so tired of being tired. I just want the migraine to be over when it’s done, the postdrome is just something harder to understand than the migraine itself.

Comments

• Dawn

i know exactly what you are talking about. it started happening to me in the past year or so. big bad migraine comes and of course we feel like shit, then waiting for it to go. when it finally does there it a overwhelming sense of fatigue or extreme exhaustion. can’t seem to get rid of it. talk to my neurologist about it.His response was either small possibility of depression, hep c or thyroid which i don’t think any of them apply to me. other then the migraine i am pretty darn healthy. i find out shortly if it’s one of the last two, good luck with your tiredness. i hope you figure something out.

• tperigo

This article is hitting it home for me, nobody seems to listen to me when I tell them I’m so tired after having a migraine. It’s feels like even after the worst part of the pain is gone the lingering back side of it is still there for days and I have to recoop from that also. My husband try’s so hard to understand because he sees the pain I’m in, but how can you explain it to anyone when they have never gone through it. I never had migraines until I was in an accident about 15 years ago when I got out of a truck and turned around and didn’t see a guide wire that holds up a telephone pole and I flipped over it and fell flat on my face on the concrete. The Hospital said I tore the lining between my brain and my skull like a shredder. My brain shifted in my skull I hit so hard, and my eyes swelled shut and with pressure. It was about three weeks before the swelling went down before everything seemed normal or so I thought. About six moths went by and I stated getting headaches worse and worse and the Dr said they would get better and all they have done is get worse. I am now taking topamax, tizanidine, maxalt, and let me tell you I can’t keep enough on hand of my maxalt because my insurance only allows me 12 pills a month. I live with ice packs and in my darkroom. I have no quality of life anymore!!! On top of all of that they think I may have messed up my neck and need surgery!! I’m not going to win this battle!!
    I just wish they could find a better drug for migraines, because having them more than half the month is killing me!! The fatigue is a bummer!! I’m tired so tired and I feel what all of you are feeling!!

• montanaday

So sorry for what you’re going through. A word of advice because I’ve been through it. Tizanidine gave me kidney stones, went though hell for five years because of it and over $30,000 and 6 surgeries. Never had kidney stones before I went on it or since I went off of it; it is now listed as a possible side effect. Wish I would have put it together sooner, would of saved me a ton of money and lots of pain. I also take Maxalt but get 18 a month and I’m still like an addict at the end of the month counting my pills trying to make them last. I would see if you can get your insurance company to do an exception or an override with your doctor’s approval. But yeah, I get you, people don’t realize how exhausting chronic migraine is. The pain may be gone but the effects never are. Best wishes.

• DonnaFA moderator

Hi tperigo, thanks for sharing your story. That sounds like an absolutely terrible experience! You mentioned that they believe that the accident caused some neck damage. I wonder if your doctor has considered that maybe your headaches are cervicogenic in nature. If that is the case, the surgery might offer some hopefully significant relief. It would certainly be worth discussing with your doctor! In any case, please know that you’re not alone and that we’re here to share support, or just to listen. Thanks for being part of the community! – Warmly, Donna (Migraine.com team)

• Migraine as usual!

Faeriefate, you are not alone!!! I try explaining this the best way I can. I tell them this… “imagine running a marathon hung-over”. There is not enough hours in the day to sleep to feel well again. I wish you pain free days, you’re never alone!

• Joanna Bodner moderator

Hi there faeiefate,
    So nice hearing from you. I am sure there is likely no one in our Migraine.com community that could not relate to this story! You are absolutely not alone in experiencing such terrible fatigue and feeling continually wiped out. This is a sentiment shared by so many and such a debilitating symptom. In fact, we composed an article on tips our members have provided over time on ways they have helped to manage their fatigue. Here it is if you’d like to take a look when you are feeling up to it – https://migraine.com/blog/community-thoughts-managing-fatigue/.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us!
    -Joanna (Migraine.com Team)

• Patsy810

I’m new to Migraine.com I understand what you mean about tired of being tired . I’ve had chronic migraines since the age of 16 and I’m now 50 . My husband is wonderful at the time of the migraines but I truly don’t think he understands the absolute horrific amount of pain that I’m In! Sometimes they are gone in one day but sometimes they stay for 3/4 days at a time. I go to the er when I can’t take it anymore and I try my best not to cry because that causes more pounding pain! I’m on 3 different types of meds sometimes they work and other times especially if I wake up with one already there nothing will work! I used to also take excedrin migraine but I had started taking 5 to 6 (or more) a day everyday! My specialist doesn’t understand why they are still so frequent or why they still last for days. I don’t work anymore because I was calling in more than being at work. So I’ve applied for disability benefits. Sometimes I wish I could get a knife and cut out the part that hurts and sew my head backup! I lose track of days and become confused when family and friends tell me no today is…..