My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with abdominal migraine. He has been prescribed a series of drugs to either to reduce the likelihood of an episode or reduce the duration of an episode. My son has not responded to the treatment. He is unwell most weeks and has missed a lot of school over the past two years. The key aspects of his condition are:
1) he is not unwell during school holidays
2) his episodes typically last 4 days and then he is back to normal
3) his episodes always commence when he wakes in the morning - there are no signs the night before that he will be unwell the next day
4) when he is unwell, he mainly eats toast
5) when he is unwell, he typically has stomach pain, a headache and is nauseous
6) around 10% of the time he vomits at the start of an episode but generally does experience vomiting
Has anyone experienced similar problems to my son. If so, how have you reduced the frequency and duration of episodes?