Back to all discussions

Which type of doctor, Gynecologist or Neurologist?

Hello, I have a feeling my increase in migraines have to do with my premenopausal/menopausal condition. Most of the symptoms, which are just so crazy and long to list here, also come with hot flashes. I am quite certain my migraines are hormone-related. I can't handle them every single day any longer and I'm going to seek professional help other than just taking maxalt every day. So: do I go to a neurologists or a gynocologists or other?

Please respond if you've gone through the same yourself and have had successful relief of both menopausal symptoms and migraines, please. Thank you all and I wish you a migraine-free day.

  1. Hi hothead,

    I would suggest a neurologist, or another doctor who is qualified to treat those of us with migraine and headache disorders.

    There are two different issues here; migraine and perimenopause/menopause; GYN's treat that and neurologists (or better yet a true migraine expert) treat migraine. In fact I have a friend who is an nurse practitioner in a GYN/OB office and sends her patients with migraine and headache disorders to a neurologist.

    I'm currently going through hot flashes and use Estrace cream which helps.

    Having said that, I understand how frustrating it is to see multiple doctors - it stinks, but may be necessary.

    Frova is a triptan, a medication similar to Maxalt that stops the migraine process, except it has "...the longest duration of action of all the triptans (26 hour duration)" and may be worth a try. You can read more about that here;

    Triptans are not meant to be taken daily, and can increase our risk of medication overuse. Here are a few articles that may help;

    Let me know what you think!


    1. Hi Nancy,
      Thank you for your informative response.

      I was wondering about possible rebound effects with maxalt and so I cut down on my doses the last two nights with none last night. My headache is dull today that will hopefully not turn into a migraine. If I don't get a coinciding hot-flash it probably won't!
      Since you're recommending involving both kinds of doctors perhaps I'll start with a hormone-specialist or gynecologist since I believe that to be the root cause. I have many other triggers but can avoid those for the most part.

      The articles are very helpful.

      Thank you for your help.

      or create an account to reply.