No birthday cake for me- ever

I’ve suffered with migraine headaches since I was 5 yrs. old. The blinding light, vomiting and sound sensitivity. Every year since being 5 yrs old, on my birthday with my twin sister having the normal store bought cake with the sweet icing drove me to violent migraine headaches. Mom would lay me down in a quiet dark room and put a cool clothes on my forehead and change it out when it was too warm take me to the bathroom to vomit. So I not only suffered but my mom too. My dad always got scared when I’d ask him to come to the bathroom so I could get sick and ease my anxiety of being terrified of what was happening to me at an early age. Dad always sat in the hallway and waited until I was done, then care for me. Mom was always in the bathroom holding my hair and draping a cool cloth on the neck.

I’m 45 yrs old now and traveled the long road of lifetime migraine headaches. Over the years I tried everything available to no relief. Within the last 5 yrs I have had the violent vomiting every time with a migraine headache. Before then the vomiting came and went. Now it’s consistent, frightening and horrible experience. I’ve had the pills, at home injections, hospital ER visits for the migraine cocktails of toradol- phenagrin- benadryl IV which actually makes me feel like a new person with relief. I see a neurologist and all she does is push more pills on me. I have three short term treatments, two high powered treatments and three preventive medicine treatments. I have had success with a chiropractor and adjusting my neck. I also am looking at the acupuncture for the ear bone cartilage. I asked the neurologist what she thought, her response was let’s try more medicine and look at boxtox injections.

I am looking for safe alternative relief. My bedroom is dark, cool and quiet. I have a blindfold, ear plugs and ice pack ready to go at a moment’s notice. I keep a headache diary along with a food diary. I log symptoms, triggers and feelings. But to this day I suffer from 7-12 headaches a month with vomiting. I have post concussion syndrome due to years of untreated concussion and many blows to the head by the hand of abuse.

My question is does the piercing of the ear bone cartilage actually help with migraine headaches? It’s a alternative to medicine but not enough study of if it really works.

Comments

• dkimjohnson45

Update on me, I did the occipital lobe nerve block once in August then again in November of 2016. I just had my third injection 6/2017. I am now 99% migraine headache free. I wish I knew this years ago to stop the pain. I work a fulltime job that is spent on a two computer monitors and fluorescent lighting. No headaches, nauseous feeling or blinding lights. A sigh of relief to me. I’m still not ready for birthday cake 🙁

• Joanna Bodner moderator

Hi there dkimjohnson45,
    SO wonderful to receive this update from you!! This is fantastic to hear that you have been experiencing such great results from the nerve blocks!! I truly wish you nothing but continued relief. Do be sure to keep us posted if you can!
    Great hearing from you! Take good care, Joanna (Migraine.com Team)

• lifetimesufferer author

Latest update on me, I went for the nerve block on the occipital lobe nerve block in early august and the shooting pain from neck over to the fore head has stopped and my personal next step with be trying the sinus nerve block in the nose. I am doing research on foods and exercise to help reduce migraine attacks too. I am keeping my bedroom cool and dark. trying to stay hydrated and bi-weekly massages with focus on neck and shoulder areas. I’m trying to keep a goal of one to two mile walk every other day and increase it as I can tolerate it. I added fish oil to my vitamin regimen of multivitamin, biotin, iron and D3. I’m hoping all this with topamax and amitriptyline will help.

• KBKC

I wonder if you may have some of my problems. I’ve suffered since about puberty if not earlier, and the migraines became worse as I got older. I have been on daily medication for a couple years now. It helped, but I still didn’t feel great, and couldn’t lose weight in spite of diet and exercise.

I went to a nutrition nurse for help (and I know what follows is not generally accepted). Based on my lab work, she said I had extreme food sensitivities and leaky gut syndrome. The first allergy diet of “safe” foods made me ill, so she gave me another, and this one was important.

The second diet had foods marked which had: histamines, nightshades, and fermentation. I felt like she’d given me a road map to my body. I finally understood why some “healthy” foods make me ill, why some nuts do and some don’t, for example, and why herbal tea can make me into a migraine crisis.

I am taking bovine colostrum daily (the source and quality matter), new vitamin supplements, and avoiding gluten and those foods with histamines, nightshades, and fermentation. I am trying to train myself not to eat anything processed. I forget sometimes, but my body reacts right away. Yoga also helps.

I took myself off all migraine medication within a month and have not had a single headache, and I’m losing weight like a normal person should . I never thought this would be possible, so I waited a bit, but so far so good. I don’t think this is a fluke. I hope I can help someone else. This condition has been ruling my life and no longer does.

• lifetimesufferer author

I looked up the information and symptoms. I do have to say I have several of the symptoms and will talk to my doctor about it. Gas, insomnia, muscle cramps, fatigue, migraines,eczema,memory problems, mood disorders, body aches, joint pain, nausea, hashimoto’s disease,The list goes on. I have had a feeling for a longtime that something is wrong with my stomach.

• Joanna Bodner moderator

Hi there lifetimesufferer –

Thank you greatly for taking the time to share your migraine journey with us. Sharing such a personal piece to your life means a great deal to us and our community. Please know how much we appreciate it.

I am so sorry to hear how long you have been experiencing these symptoms and struggling to find relief. Regarding your question for a daith piercing, I thought I would share some information we have related to this. Our contributor Tammy provided a great article about this and we have had many community members that have joined in on the conversation at the conclusion of the article, so be sure to check those out those comments as well: https://migraine.com/blog/could-a-daith-piercing-solve-your-migraine-problem/.

I am happy to see you already have been able to connect with some others here in this post, but always feel free to reach out with any questions and/or support! We are happy to have you part of our community.

Warmly,
    Joanna (Migraine.com Team)

• lifetimesufferer author

Thank you so much for the link to the blog. I read it and I feel the same way that if it was a great cure there would be regulations on who administered the piercing. It would have to be done by a medical provider and not the local Tattoo and piercing shops. No offense to anyone in that profession, but i would feel safer getting a piercing from someone who actually studied the body and pressure points.

• Kathy Kathy

It didn’t work for me. You may also start triggering them as its painfull to sleep on for a long time. Like you my migraines can start from my neck because of an auto immune disease, so it may be more worth while concentrating on that rather than a piercing. I’d probably spend the money on a new pillow from the chiro instead.

• lifetimesufferer author

I’ve got 6 different kinds of “specialized” pillows on my bed and none of them help. I once used that Chillo pillow as seen on TV. It worked great but it got a pinhole leak and the gel stuff got all over the place. I was thinking about auto immune disease but have no clue where to start. I’m searching for a new neurologist who specializes in Migraines. My primary doctor thinks I;m on too many migraine medicine, I agree with her. I noticed the pillow with gel in them are good but I’m hot and the coolness goes away.

• RRMother

I just got my left daith pierced last week because I was desperate for relief, too. It’s too early to tell yet whether it will work or not, but even if it doesn’t, at least I tried. I will tell you however, that it HURT. It is not a simple piercing. And even with a very experienced, wonderful piercer, it’s still going to hurt!

• lifetimesufferer author

Keep me posted, I don’t want extra pain that’s for sure 🙂

• Tamara

SEMI PERMANANT ACUPUNCTURE – I asked my acupuncturist about their piercing since I was also interested in the piercing … He gave me an alternative – semipermanent acupuncture. It is small needles that are in the end of a stud that can be worn up to a month (then you can switch ears). They are placed into the specific acupuncture points on the ear (the ones that the piercing “may” hit).

I might have had success with it but can’t tell since my depression has been so bad the few days. I also have at least two different types of headaches going on so its hard to determine anything. I have one type 24/7 (4/10 to 8/10 pain level) and then bad bad migraines flares 1-2 times a week – 3 days at 7/10-10/10.

• lifetimesufferer author

I never thought of that, I might check it out. Thank you for the suggestion.