Back to all discussions

Accommodation for Migraines

My daughter is in High School and about to graduate and go on to college. Presently, she is considered disabled and covered under section 504 of the disability act of 1973. This means the public school has to accommodate her if she is having a migraine and not penalize her for missed school days or missed work.

She is about to college and I am wondering about a transition to college and if the college will allow her this same accommodation. Does anyone here have experience going away to college and what they may do in answer to accommodate her migraines?

Thanks very much!

  1. Hi maeevans,

    Thank you for your questions and being part of the discussion forum - we're glad you're here!

    I'm sorry your daughter is having such a difficult time. High school is tough enough, adding migraine can make things miserable. It sounds like you've done a great job getting her accommodations. I don't have any direct experience with accommodations and college, but have heard from other patients who have had good luck with theirs in college. There is a bit of information in this article that may help;

    I believe having a 504 allows a student the same accommodations an IEP does, but you would have to verify that. It probably would be a good idea to speak with the admission people are prospective colleges and see what their policies are.

    I hope that helps,

    1. The ADA laws may provide for some accommodation. A consult with a labor law attorney would be necessary to fully understand your rights as a person with a disability.

      or create an account to reply.