Hanging on to HOPE!

As I lay here typing I have a migraine. I went to church on this beautiful Sunday, had to come straight home afterward because I was sick to my stomach from having a migraine all morning. I have had migraines since I was a teenager. It all started when I was diagnosed with epilepsy, a seizure disorder. In 2002 I underwent brain surgery to remove scar tissue from my brain, all went well and I have been seizure free since the surgery!

Then there was a turn of events, I stared to have migraines about once or twice a month. I am sorry to say now I have been diagnosed with chronic daily migraines and I’m at the end of my rope, but being the strong person that adversity has thrown me, I refuse to give up Hope that there has to be something out there that I haven’t tried that will help me.

In Sept of 2010 I went to UVA in Charlottesville Va where I was admitted to the hospital for DHE treatments. The treatment only last about a week, then I was back to square one. I have tried so many migraines medications. Here is just a few, but I’ve tried a lot more. Imitrex, relpax, zomig, maxalt, midrin, fioricet, zanaflex, mirgranal nasal spray, topamax, elavil, lamictal, neurotin, loratab, toradol….need I say more? I have began to check into maybe having nerve decompression surgery in Houston Tx but I don’t think my insurance will cover it and it cost $15,000! One thing I haven’t t tried is botox for my migraines. I am trying to save enough money up to pay for the injections ($600.00), another procedure my insurance does not cover!

Through it all I have became a stronger person. I have even more compassion for others and want to help them any way that I can. I want to be a HOPE mentor for other migraine sufferers out there. We must never give up hope and press forward to the day when researchers can say I have a cure for this neurological disease. There is no cure for epilepsy, but I have overcome that. There is no cure for migraines, but I pray that I will over come that as well.

My family hurts for me, because it does not just affect me, but everything that we do. I have missed out on so many family events I can’t even start to count them. My family is very active and love to go bike riding, another thing that is very difficult for me, because when I become to hot, or over do it, then bam a migraine strikes. I am light sensitive, can’t handle loud noises, experience nausea with my migraines, and have just started getting dizzy when I have one. I could go on and on with my story, but I will stop here my migraine friends. My prayer for you all is that you will find the help that you need and one day migraines will be a word of the past! Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Blessings,

Cindy

Comments

• Ellen Schnakenberg

I’m so grateful you shared your story here Cindy!

• ryandeshler

I feel your pain, I too have daily migraines. I recently had Botox (1 month ago), but with little effect. My Insurance Covered the Botox because as my doctor put it, I had exhausted all other options. I find that it did numb some areas, but my pain is so widespread through my shoulders, neck, head and sinuses that they still break though. I am not sure if I will repeat the procedure or not. Maybe it still needs time to work fully, but I haven’t noticed any improvements.

• Cathi

I to have chronic daily migrains….some days are just not worth getting up, I feel your pain and know the daily struggles. I feel that my headaches define who I am, my life before and after headaches! Also have been on a lot of the same medications, and am checking into Botox (if my ins. will cover it). Wishing you the best, you sound like you have the right mind frame, but you have also been dealing with it a lot longer than I have, I am “just” into it a year and a half. I am hoping I can some day have the hope you do!

• Laura

Cindy, were you able to have the botox or the nerve decompression surgery? How are you doing? I’m looking into those procedures and would like to know of your experience.

• Janene Zielinski

Cindy, You give me the gift of your hope, Thank you. My prayers echo yours. Stay Strong.

• Susan Jillian Smith

What can I say… thank you. Thank you so much for expressing something that needs to be said. We are like victims of a violent crime, where society asks us what we did to encourage it. Randomly attacked over and over again, we struggle with post traumatic stress – in fear of the next one. I am not actually hopeful any more… I want to be – but I’m tired. Thank you for being our voice.

• Tracy Brooks

Cindy, I so understand and feel like you posted a synopsis of my life! I am now going through the botox injections so we shall see if they provide any relief…..thank God my insurance is paying for it……I h ave to say I have given up hope of ever being “better” in the loose vernacular of the term! Keep fighting the fight my friend.

• Anne-Marie Allen

Cindy…thanks so much for sharing your story and putting into words what many, including I cannot. Our stories have many things in common…the few that stick out are the chronic daily migraines, many, many drugs (that did not help), insurance denied treatments and missing out on family events. The anxiety and depression that go along with this disease are almost as disabling. It is so important to have a support team at home, but also nice to know there are millions of us around to listen, understand and really care. Don’t give up – God Bless.

• Karen Walker Hilton

Thank you for writing about this, Cindy. There are times when I forget that there are others who are going through the same exact thing I am ~ the daily migraine pain, the endless list of medications tried and what combination will eventually work, the missed events, etc. Thanks for bringing me back into focus and sharing your Hope. Baby steps continue….

• Migraine Independence Coaching with Gerry Fryer

I have migraines a couple of days a week, which gives me the freedom of a normal life at other times, and the opportunity, like you, to help other sufferers. To be able to go through CDM and still have hope and purpose, Cindy…I have nothing but admiration for your courage and optimism.

• Teresa Cole Cross

Keep hanging on to that hope. I’m walking that same road of trials. I’ve had the botox and the decompression surgery which gave me temporary relief. (Insurance covered mine) I pray you will find the right combination to give you a better quality of life.

• Maria Mazzella

IM SO SORRY THAT YU ARE GOING THROUGH THIS I ALSO HAVE CHRONIC DAILY MIGRANES I CAN RELATE HOW YOU FEEL.. I WISH YU THE BEST.

• Jennifer D White

totally relate with symptoms and several meds tried.

• Kim Bourner

Cindy! I am so very glad the surgery to remove the scar tissue worked! My sister had that, as she had ensephalitis (sp?) as a child. Unfortunately, it provided no relief from her siezures, which only got worse and took her life. However, she lived with grace & dignity. Because of how she handled living in so much pain, I know I can survive and have hope. Thank you for your story. You too provide Hope!

• Ellen Schnakenberg

Cindy, Thank you so much for sharing your story. You have already taken an important first step in becoming the Migraine mentor you hoped to be – you came here and began by sharing your story. I have no doubt someone is going to read it and not only learn something, but feel comforted by the realization that they are not alone. Yes, there is hope 🙂

I hope you will consider joining us in the forum where you can begin talking to other patients and mentoring them through their own personal Migraine journey. I’ll see you there!!