What are CGRPs?
Written by: Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: March 2019
- Migraine: the CGRP story. Pharmaceutical Journal. Available at http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/features/targeting-the-cgrp-protein-could-lead-to-a-preventative-treatment-for-migraine/20201917.article. Accessed 5/10/18.
- Goadsby PJ, Edvinsson L & Ekman R. Vasoactive peptide release in the extracerebral circulation of humans during migraine headache. Ann Neurol 1990;28:183–187. doi: 10.1002/ana.410280213
- FDA Approves Aimovig (erenumab-aooe), a Novel Treatment Developed Specifically for Migraine Prevention. Amgen press release. Available at https://www.amgen.com/media/news-releases/2018/05/fda-approves-aimovig-erenumabaooe-a-novel-treatment-developed-specifically-for-migraine-prevention/. Accessed 5/17/18.
- Barber J. Higher dose of Allergan’s oral CGRP receptor antagonist ubrogepant hits main goals of Phase III acute migraine trial. First Word Pharma. Available at https://www.firstwordpharma.com/node/1560352. Accessed 5/10/18.
- Tepper S, Ashina M, Reuter U, et al. Safety and efficacy of erenumab for preventive treatment of chronic migraine: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:425-434.
- AAN 2018: Lilly’s Galcanezumab Significantly Reduced Monthly Migraine Headache Days in Patients with Migraine Who Previously Failed to Respond to Multiple Preventive Therapies. Eli Lilly. Press Release April 24, 2018. Available at https://investor.lilly.com/news-releases/news-release-details/aan-2018-lillys-galcanezumab-significantly-reduced-monthly. Accessed 5/10/18.
- Teva's Fremanezumab Meets all Primary & Secondary Endpoints Across Both Monthly and Quarterly Dosing Regimens in Phase III Study in Episodic Migraine Prevention [press release]. June 7, 2017. Available at http://www.tevapharm.com/news/teva_s_fremanezumab_meets_all_primary_secondary_endpoints_across_both_monthly_and_quarterly_dosing_regimens_in_phase_iii_study_in_episodic_migraine_prevention_06_17.aspx. Accessed 5/10/18.
- Alder BioPharmaceuticals Announces Positive Eptinezumab Phase 3 Results for Prevention of Frequent Episodic Migraine [press release]. June 27, 2017. Available at https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/06/27/1029420/0/en/Alder-BioPharmaceuticals-Announces-Positive-Eptinezumab-Phase-3-Results-for-Prevention-of-Frequent-Episodic-Migraine.html. Accessed 5/10/18.
- Brauser D. Phase 3 STRIVE and ARISE Trials Show Efficacy, Safety for Erenumab in Migraine Prevention. Medscape. April 26, 2017. Available at http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/879161. Accessed 5/10/18.
- Dodick DW, Goadsby PJ, Spierings EL, et al. Safety and efficacy of LY2951742, a monoclonal antibody to calcitonin gene-related peptide, for the prevention of migraine: a phase 2, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13:885-892. Abstract
- Dodick DW, Goadsby PJ, Silberstein SD, et al; ALD403 study investigators. Safety and efficacy of ALD403, an antibody to calcitonin gene-related peptide, for the prevention of frequent episodic migraine: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, exploratory phase 2 trial. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13:1100-1107. Abstract